Discus and angels in the same tank???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

crazyred

Aquarium Advice Addict
I saw a display tank at my LFS Saturday and they had discus and angels in there together. Now, I've heard that the two have different water parameter requirements, but when I looked them up it looks similar to me. Should these two fish be kept together or is this a bad idea?

I'm not thinking of doing it myself (my water would be terrible for discus....and I don't have a big enough tank), but I'm curious about it......opinions?

I believe it is because angels can carry diseases that are fatal to discus. I know of several people that do successfully keep them together even though it isn't recommended.

I saw in my lfs they had severums and discus in the same tank

Most likely, I imagine it's because they were babies.

Heh, don't want to use LFS tanks to figure out tank set-ups (e.g. 50 bajillion oscars in a 10gal).

It is because of disease that they don't coexist well (unless put together as fry) and also because angels are more aggressive and will cause the discus to become skittish and scared.

I've heard that the angels can carry an intestinal worm that can be fatal to the discus. I have both discus and angels. I don't keep them together though. I know the worm that they talk about, ive seen it, BUT is treatable.

Back
Top Bottom