Discus and gbr

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hobgob

Aquarium Advice Addict
I was just wondering if anyone here has ever tried to put two male Gbr in their discus tank.. My discus tank is 75gallons planted bare bottom. And was wondering if I could get away with two males. I know I shouldn't put a pair in there for the discus but would 75 gallons allow enough space for the two boys and not bother my discus. Or would I have to do one? I just wanna make sure he does not bother my discus.

If you mean a German blue ram that's plenty of space in my opinion I'm not an expert tho. My father got 2 pairs of rams and getting two discus. They should be fine together. Id try and she what happens if goes bad rehome

If you mean a German blue ram that's plenty of space in my opinion I'm not an expert tho. My father got 2 pairs of rams and getting two discus. They should be fine together. Id try and she what happens if goes bad rehome

How big of tank and male and female ratio. and only two discus? And I'm not going to put the fish in there just to see. I'm not going to put my expensive fish up for an experiment. If the rams do not work it can cause a lot of problems in the discus. I'd like to know for sure.

Ps Gbr stands for yes German blue ram.

I haven't kept either my father has successfully no problems and is doing it again. The discus get a lot bigger then the rams do. Ram max out 3 3.5 inch if you get lucky. I don't think you will have problems. My dad always kept 2 males and 2 females in rams and 1 male and 1 female in the discus. He's got a 30 right now I'd say go a little bigger like 35 to 40 gallons. Provide a lot of hiding spaces I'd also put a few plants in there fake or live that's up to you. I'm going by my experience with these guys. Not a expert tho. Sorry for last post didn't mean doe it to sound like an experiment.

Did he purchase the breeding pair also did he ever get a spawn off them? How big did they get? How big were they when he purchased them? Also we're the discus ever nipped up?

Who discus or rams? Rams he never got a pair he always buy 2 males and 2 females never paired up tho.ram max out at 3 3 1/2 inches. Discus he got about 4 inches he only get a breeding pair onces

No they seemed to be fine together never any problems. Ur problems will prob be more ram on ram

Who discus or rams? Rams he never got a pair he always buy 2 males and 2 females never paired up tho.ram max out at 3 3 1/2 inches. Discus he got about 4 inches he only get a breeding pair onces

4 inches from nose to the end of the tail and yes the discus. How many times did he do this and how long did the discus typically live for?

How big did the discus grow in these conditions? And when you measure, are you including the tail fin or no?

I just wanna make sure the discus grew to their full potential or not before I put them in the situation.

It's ok I understand discus aren't hardy fish they need a lot of attention
Everything's got to be prefect for them
To thrive and breed. I believe max size is 10-12 inches not 100 percent sure will look ask my dad and let you know

It's ok I understand discus aren't hardy fish they need a lot of attention
Everything's got to be prefect for them
To thrive and breed. I believe max size is 10-12 inches not 100 percent sure will look ask my dad and let you know

Well minimum size for discus is competition is 4inch measured from the start of the nose the the Beginning of its tail fin (caudal peduncle). Maximum points to over 6 inches. A recorded largest on show specimen was 20cm so just under 8inches I believe. I have photos of discus that the owners say are 9 inches but the whole tail fin add an inch which makes them 9 so really 8 inches.. The photos were either from simply discus forum or monsters fish forum.

Yes your right it's between 6-9. How big are your discus ? Also if u do pick the rams I'd add one or two at a time just so the discus don't get overwhelmed which I don't think they will anyway. My dad's rams don't seem to hide but I just have a little spot to hide for each fish just so if they feel a need to hide they got somewhere to go

Have you thought about Bolivian rams ? They are said to be less aggressive others say they are same fish

Think it would work in a 75? You have a lot more space then I do. also male or female ram? And do you see any aggression from it?

Back
Top Bottom