Discus Discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BrianNY

Aquarium Advice Addict
Quite a few of our members keep the aquarium king. I'm sure there are many more that have an interest in discus. Myths and misconceptions about the discus abound so I thought I would start this thread to answer any questions I can.

The more I learn about the discus, the more fascinated I become. Discus are not hard to keep for anyone armed with enough information.

What a great idea!! I know I've learned alot from you, and am very grateful. I'll start the questions. :wink:

One of my green discus has what looks like an egg tube showing. The fish in question is 3". It's with another one that is only about 2" that is showing nothing. At what size do they start to......mature? Do I have an early bloomer? lol

Well I dont have any discus yet... but one of these days for sure!
Great idea, I'll follow this thread closely!

3" would be considered immature for spawning activity Cindy. However, this can occur if the discus has been either hormone treated or stunted. Typically a discus needs to be at least a year old to be sexually mature.

If it's the case Cindy (and we don't know that), the fish just won't reach it's maximum potential. It will have an otherwise normal life.

i was thinking about discus, but they get so big from what i hear. Also, i haven't priced them in the LFS. but online they are like 40+, and that seems like a lot to spend on a fish. Are they really that expensive if i can find them locally?

from my experience the prices of discus if you can find them in a LFS the prices are most likely going to be just as expensive.. Ive seen LFS's sell little ones for somewere around $80 all the way down to like $35.. the selection is usually not very good at that.. As far as there size goes they get around 8" on average.

on a different note.. the constant need for pwc's.. The fact of the matter that discus have a great deal of mucus that gets on everything.. in other words there is more reason to change the water than the normal bio cycle reasons. As explained to me by BrianNY in a earier thread.
:idea: Im wondering if this stuff can be skimmed some how...? to help filter the aquarium.. :?:

Don't mean to jump in, greenmagi, but Discus have been on my "want to keep" list for a long time, and my question is related to yours. How bad is this mucus? Are there things that make it better/worse? Then, I would also echo greenmagi's questions.

no problem fishyrican! Im assuming that the mucus is some kind of protein based liquid that is dissolved into the water before it attaches itself to the insides of the tank.. is this too off base? thats were the skimming question comes from anyway..

When I had Discus and was doing daily pwcs, I didn't have any real problems with mucus on the glass. I did wipe down the glass semi-regularly though.

By all standards, discus are expensive. I've paid as much as $300 for a fish, and as little as $9 ( at a GCAS auction). When you've got that much invested , you tend to take care of them.

They do require very clean water and since they are big polluters water changes are necessary. I probably change on average now 40% every other day. Much depends on the bioload of the tank and how the discus looks and acts. I've never had a discus complain about a water change, but they will show signs of stress if left undone too long. That's just my experience.

The slime coat is just one factor in changing water. The other is removing DOCs from the water column which are a natural biological process of any aquarium.

Attachments

• discus__cinco_de_mayo_008_102.jpg
    discus__cinco_de_mayo_008_102.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 91
I understand the need for frequent water changes with discus and I do understand why someone would be compelled to take good care of them.. I also understand that the mucus is not the only reasons to do the water changes.. I could go into GREAT detail on why water changes are nessissary. as could many people..

I realize that the mucus might not be that big of a problem most of the time with proper maintenance but the mucus is still there.

The question was has anyone even tried or thought about skimming the mucus out of the tank? If so I would love to hear about the experience, if tried. And I would like to hear ideas from people who might have thought about it or tried to do it and had limited to no success..

:D I understood your question Bill. I wanted to give it some thought before I responded. My answer may not satisfy you because it's not definitive. I have never used a protein skimmer and have never seen one used for discus. That doesn't mean it would be totally ineffective.

I've been to several discus hatcheries in the U.S., and have seen some very sophisticated set-ups. My logic tells me that if the use of a protein skimmer could save any of these hatcheries either time or money they would be utilized. Perhaps it hasn't been thought of. Perhaps the cost on a large scale is prohibitive. Perhaps there is just no substitute for clean fresh water.

when I asked questions in school, high school though college, alot of the time I would get "I really don't know the answer to that" or a sharp witted way of evading my question. I apologize for my snap comebacks to witty answers.. I thought you answer was brought you personal experience and almost your emotions into the equation wich I find a VERY strong argument.. very good actually.. it seemed like your answer almost nullified my question.. that was why I responded by rephrasing the question to fit you answer. I didnt mean to add coal to the fire or anything..

Im thinking that hatcheries would automate water changes making it easy to get the downward curve of waste production. I wouldn't see why they would even think of skimming the mucus out if that were the case.

and the clean fresh water augment could be spread to all facets of the aquarium hobby.. that logic would have everyone doing 50% water changes on any kind of aquarium daily. Im not so sure of that one..LOL.. 8O

LOL. I understand completely Bill. I've read some of your other posts and see that you have a very inquiring mind. That's a good thing but answers to many questions either don't exist or require "further research". :wink:

Personally I've found discus keepers to be a rather strange breed. Of course I'm not strange, everyone else is. :lol: :lol: Most will tell you that their way is the only way. That's part of the reason I stopped posting on discus forums. There seemed to be an elitist attitude that I didn't care for.

I consider Cary Strong of Great Lakes Discus to be the authority on this fish. BTW it took him 6 years to achieve his first spawn, so here's a guy that won't give up!!! I'll pose your protein skimmer question to him and see if he knows the science of will it or won't it work.

I started this thread for just this tye of discussion. Now it's time to pursue my other passion. Hitting a little white ball around a well manicured course. I'll check in after I finish the back nine. LOL

I have a question that is Discus related. Specifically, are Discus a feasible "community" species when every other species in the community is peaceful and compatible with the stringent water conditions Discus require? For example, is a New World Chiclids community tank with, let's say, Angels, Keyholes, Rams, and Discus a viable option?

Thanks brian... I can understand that golf can be adictive.. not that Ive caught that bug yet.. I havnt caught the discus bug just yet either but I cant say that it will not happen.
I also know that some of my questions require further reasearch but I dont have the ability to reaserach all of my ideas in this hobby.. I dont even have my 75 back up yet.. but I always try some of them...
the use of a protein skimmer is one idea but im sure there might be a better idea out there somewere that just has not been tried. Im guessing that the skilter filter was popular enough at one time or another that someone had it on a discus aquarium. Im guessing that it might need adjustment for this particular aplication..

and to Ariamus... Ive seen community aquariums that include such other fish that looked to be doing very well. I cant see were they would not.. angles and rams and such have very simmular needs therefore would not mind the extra attention given to the aquarium that the discus need.
I have kept some of these other fish by the way.. except for the ram... I had not seen it...LOL...

I have 4 discus in a planted 50 gal with neons, blue rams, bolivian rams and 2 clown loaches. They seem to get along well. I do 25% water changes weekly but I am heavily filtered. I have been able to buy 2 blue and 2 red discus , 2 inch bidy, for $15.00 ea.:D

Back
Top Bottom