Discus help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kirkland795

Aquarium Advice Regular
I plan on getting some discus fish soon. I've done my research but I have a few questions. For those who have successfully kept them do you use 100% RO water to lower the pH(my tap pH is too high). Also do you use any additives to replace the lack of minerals in RO water? How often do you perform water changes? I was thinking of 20-30% twice a week. I also plan on doing a planted tank to help keep nitrates down. Are there substrates that are better for plants? I was thinking of using sand. I also plan on feeding them pellets, frozen blood worms, and maybe some beef heart. I'll keep their water around 84 F. I plan on starting with two fish in my 60 gallon and adding more eventually as I know they like to school. Any answers and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I do it all simple... Use powdered discus pH buffer, do a waterchange every week with plant based substrate or sand and everything else is great. I got my discus from Discus Hans in Baltimore I 100% recommended him, he has great prices and great healthy fish, if you are not in the Baltimore area you can order off of him but I highly recommend him!

Back
Top Bottom