Discus - What to look for?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Esra

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi,

I'm going to see a breeder tonight who has about 40 discus of various sorts at aorund 2 - 3" each.

I'll probably be picking up about 4 of them and was wondering what to look for?

I'll probable be getting 2 pairs of colours (most likely the blood red one and the electric white one - not sure of the names at the moment).

Is there a way to tell male from female at this stage?
Any bad signs to watch for?

Also any general advise on care of these beauties?
I have plenty of room for them in a well established tank with nothing aggressive in there.

Esra said:
Hi,

I'm going to see a breeder tonight who has about 40 discus of various sorts at aorund 2 - 3" each.

I'll probably be picking up about 4 of them and was wondering what to look for?

I'll probable be getting 2 pairs of colours (most likely the blood red one and the electric white one - not sure of the names at the moment).

Is there a way to tell male from female at this stage?
Any bad signs to watch for?

Also any general advise on care of these beauties?
I have plenty of room for them in a well established tank with nothing aggressive in there.
is this the 120 gallon in your my info ?
if it is i worry about some of the fish you have in there... angels are more aggressive then you think, and generally it is not recommended they be kept with discus, even though man do... some of the other fish may be too active or too "dirty" for the discus who are both sedate, easily spooked and require pristine water conditions...

i will let others voice there opinions...

Yeah i've heard that about the Angels but have heard just as many say they are fine together.
I'm thinking of trying it out and seeing how they go, any problems and i can move the angels to another tank anyway.

Also with the 'dirty fish' i have verry good filtration (2500L / H) and the water has always been very clean with steady parameters. If it wasn't i wouldn't even be looking at Discus.

I moved this to the cichlid forum.

Good luck and have fun picking out you new fish. I have read that young ones need constant water changes.

Is there anything fish specific to look for?
I mean like when you buy a dog you check certain things?

or is it just pure luck to get a good fish?

Anyway to tell male from female?
Not that interested in breeding but would be good to know for ratios.

I'm pretty good with my tank and have no concerns about them living well.
Just want to get the best fish possible.

Esra said:
Is there anything fish specific to look for?
I mean like when you buy a dog you check certain things?

or is it just pure luck to get a good fish?

Anyway to tell male from female?
Not that interested in breeding but would be good to know for ratios.

I'm pretty good with my tank and have no concerns about them living well.
Just want to get the best fish possible.
i have yet to have the pleasure of keeping a discus myself... perhaps this link will help you

Sexing at that young of an age would be almost impossible. I keep discus and juvy's are best kept in groups of 5 or more and in a species only tank. Discus prefer warmer temps than most tropical fish. When choosing discus the link provided above does offer some good tips. It is your tank to do what you want with but IMHO I would not keep discus in that tank with the other inhabitants. Good luck if you decide to go for it. Pictures would be very good. :)

The link provided by JDogg has some very basic an excellent info Esra. Zagz has given you some sage advice. I'll expand on it a bit.

Young discus should never be kept with any other species. Other fish are carriers of parasitic diseases which young discus cannot handle. Discus are also very timid feeders. The young need to be fed often and simply will never get their share with aggressive feeders such as angels.

I've been raising discus for years. I grow them out 5 or 6 in a 29g until they reach about 3 1/2 inches in diameter. They are then moved to a 55g to complete their growth to 6 or 7 inches. Smaller tanks are better for young discus. It's easier to change the water and monitor the fishes health. For that reason all of my discus tanks are barebottom. Food cannot collect in the gravel and foul the water and keeping clean water is a must. They contain nothing but a heater and sponge filter.

Good Luck

Well i bought my 4 discus last night.
They're bigger than i thought they would be, average aournd 3 inches.

They are swimming around and don't seem to have a problem with any of this fish in the tank. Even the swordtails who i thought would freak them out.

They are getting along with the angels and in fact seem to prefer hanging around with them!

I've just given them a good feed and they got plenty of the frazen blood worms i put in there. I have very good circulation and the food ends up everywhere so noone really has to 'fight' for food.

I'll keep an eye on them for the next few days anyway just to make sure they are ok but everything seems to be going swimmingly so far (bad pun i know - it's early here!)

Ps. the smaller of the 4 ( a blood parrot) seems to have taken a liking to my BGK.
Swims around the tank with the other 4 but every now and then heads off by himself to the BGK's cave and stays there for a while. Odd couple.

Back
Top Bottom