Discuss and anglefish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Are discuss and angle fish good aquarium buddies and can they be put in the same aquarium?:fish1:

Some are and some aren't. It all depends on the disposition of the angel fish. Discus are considered peaceful while angels are semi-aggressive. If you have no experience with either, I suggest starting off with one or the other. There are many claims that discus are nearly impossible to keep and that is simply not true. What they are is very demanding. They REQUIRE pristine water and lots of commitment on your part. If not taken care of properly, you're just wasting a lot of hard earned money, and I've seen it happen a lot. If you're considering discus, PLEASE, do a lot of research on your own first. That's what will make the difference between having a bunch of expensive, stunted, ugly fish and a beautiful display of grown out discus.

Sent from my iPhone that doesn't like me. Or you.

I have done my research and have been an fish keeper for almoust two years and the angle fish in my tank is beautiful and healthy however the fish i always wanted was discuss but seeing there price i was reluctant but now ima get another tank and im going to try and keep them and try to prosper with them but in one of the two books i read about fish keeping i read that they are good companions so i wanted to know if its true :p

I have done my research and have been an fish keeper for almoust two years and the angle fish in my tank is beautiful and healthy however the fish i always wanted was discuss but seeing there price i was reluctant but now ima get another tank and im going to try and keep them and try to prosper with them but in one of the two books i read about fish keeping i read that they are good companions so i wanted to know if its true :p

If you've read two books and only one says they're good companions, that's really not a lot of research IMO/E. I've been in the hobby for 30 years on and off (more on than off) and primarily discus for the last 10.

Discus are quite expensive and understandably, sometimes what discourages folks from getting involved with them. What size tank, what size discus, how many are you planning on, any specific breeder/supplier ?

I know thats another reason why i joined this forum...to get research on my hobbie and answers to my question...my supplier is pet masters and im only going to buy small juveniles for forst and my tank will be about a 150 liter tank when i buy it

I know thats another reason why i joined this forum...to get research on my hobbie and answers to my question...my supplier is pet masters and im only going to buy small juveniles for forst and my tank will be about a 150 liter tank when i buy it

Honestly it's quite a large difference between doing research and asking questions to get answers. To me that just means you're looking for somebody else to do the homework for you. As I pointed out above, reading just two books isn't any research to speak of unless it was any (or all 4) of Bleher's books. Then I'd be willing to give you a pat on the back as they're EXTREMELY expensive and SUPER detailed.

As for Pet Masters, a quick search turned up locations all over the US and outside of here. My presumption is that you're outside of the US as you refer to liters and not gallons and cannot comment good or bad about them.

Buying juvies is both good and bad. It will give you the perfect experience in growing them out and what does and does not work. If it's your desire to have 6-8" adults in the end, it will require a lot of time and effort. That is opinion, experience, and research speaking. LOTS of research.

A 150 liter would be a fair grow out tank but once past the juvie stage, you'll need to be in the 210 liter or larger. Also, you'll need to consider the number of them as I asked before but got no answer. Something else to work on is your nitrate issue in your other thread. Discus WILL NOT tolerate that kind of range. They will quickly become stressed and be highly susceptible to disease and ultimately die off very quickly.

Back
Top Bottom