DIY caves fo bolivian rams.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Piratechest

Aquarium Advice Freak
Outside of the box.
I don't want to use terra cotta pots or PVC pipe.
Any other idea fishy peeps?

Hi I use coconut shells cut in half...my pair love them
Hi there! all the coconuts around me are quite small for some reason. Everywhere I go. 0.0 Maybe I could find some on ebay? And does it look out of place in your tank? Or do you have a moss straddled to it?

Hi there! all the coconuts around me are quite small for some reason. Everywhere I go. 0.0 Maybe I could find some on ebay? And does it look out of place in your tank? Or do you have a moss straddled to it?

I have thought about it but no I dont and it looks nice in betewwn good growing plants

I'm kind of nervous About rocks because of their digging habits. So I was thinking maybe a rock base, with thin slates for coverage and hidey holes Edit: the way your rocks are set up is so perfect!

You could always use epoxy or silicone to keep them from falling.

I'm kind of nervous About rocks because of their digging habits. So I was thinking maybe a rock base, with thin slates for coverage and hidey holes

use some aquarium grade silicone to hold the rocks together. then you don't have to worry about them ever collapsing and harming your fish or destroying your creation ;)

Hubs and I made pleco caves out of that Sculpey clay that they sell at Hobby Lobby. It worked out to be cheaper than ordering ceramic ones online, and apparently it's fish safe because we have a pair of ABN plecos churning out fry, lol. Anyway, you could make whatever kind of cave you wanted out of that stuff, and then you bake it in the oven.

Hubs and I made pleco caves out of that Sculpey clay that they sell at Hobby Lobby. It worked out to be cheaper than ordering ceramic ones online, and apparently it's fish safe because we have a pair of ABN plecos churning out fry, lol. Anyway, you could make whatever kind of cave you wanted out of that stuff, and then you bake it in the oven.
That's genius! Thanks for that. Can you share some pics?

I don't have any pics. Ours are pretty ugly because we weren't really concerned with aesthetics so much, just the shape of the caves.

I have Africans that will move pounds of sand and I've never been worried about rocks falling is what I'm saying. I don't believe rams will move enough sand to worry

I have Africans that will move pounds of sand and I've never been worried about rocks falling is what I'm saying. I don't believe rams will move enough sand to worry

Definitely agree here, they just don't have the strength. If any dwarf could it would be a Bolivian, but I can't see them being able to manipulate slate or any rocks. It would have to be very unstable and not positioned properly.

I agree. If your bottom rocks are actually against the glass and the rocks on top are stable, they aren't going anywhere due to your fish.

Thanks for the input guys very helpful.
I'll be buying some slate/rock today.

Back
Top Bottom