DIY filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TankBoss

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I saw one of these on youtube and figured it would be perfect and cheap for my 10 gal, which I'm setting up for my fry.

I'm running it in my main tank now.

The pump cost me $23 (I could have gone cheaper), bottle 1.00, I had the media and silicone.

Any thoughts on it?

If this works out well I will probably never buy another filter, just better pumps.

http://img341.imageshack.us/img341/3811/1329783686713.jpg

Italy592 said:
What is this exactly???

Submersible filter. There are holes in the bottom of the bottle and the pump is pulling water through all of the media.

TankBoss said:
Submersible filter. There are holes in the bottom of the bottle and the pump is pulling water through all of the media.

I would think that it would only work with smaller tanks.

Wait is pulling water thro from the main tank into the fry tank ??

boadams87 said:
I would think that it would only work with smaller tanks.

It's for a 10 gallon but there is no limit to size. Diy external filters can provide all the biological and mechanical filtration a large tank, or even a pond, needs. You need the appropriate pump and a little knowledge. Also... 2 of this one, I just made, would probably filter my 55 gal fine, if I didn't mind looking at them.

Italy592 said:
Wait is pulling water thro from the main tank into the fry tank ??

No...Haha! Just letting beneficial bacteria build up on the media before I put in my fry tank:)

IMHO, $23 costs too much for that DIY. Aquaclear 30s are selling $24 at amazon. But it looks good though.

Squall said:
IMHO, $23 costs too much for that DIY. Aquaclear 30s are selling $24 at amazon. But it looks good though.

50 gph vs my 170 gph? I could have bought a cheaper pump (could have probably kept it under $10 with the pump they use in the aquaclear). I think you should be comparing my diy to one of equal flow. Plus, there are factors to consider, when purchasing a filter, other than price.

Thanks for the complement too:)

Squall said:
AC 30 is rated 150 gph.

Well I think you found t a better deal squall....congratulations.

ForumRunner_20120221_073507.jpg

Now if you can fit your hob right there you will be amazing.

I'm sure yours will be a lot more efficient than a store bought model. I love your choice of filter media. :)

Jill said:
I'm sure yours will be a lot more efficient than a store bought model. I love your choice of filter media. :)

Thanks a lot Jill!

I can take criticism, its just silly to site price as the sole reason that one filter is a better buy than another.

DIY is more than just saving money...its also getting a better "bang" for your buck, plus, it also gives you total freedom to customize your filter to your liking, AND its fun.

I've gone through a few filters. I have an Eheim ecco and even though it provides some good filtration, I won't buy another canister filter, when the technology is so simple. Next time I'll just buy a 900 gph pump and sort out the rest.

Thanks a lot Jill!

I can take criticism, its just silly to site price as the sole reason that one filter is a better buy than another.

DIY is more than just saving money...its also getting a better "bang" for your buck, plus, it also gives you total freedom to customize your filter to your liking, AND its fun.

I've gone through a few filters. I have an Eheim ecco and even though it provides some good filtration, I won't buy another canister filter, when the technology is so simple. Next time I'll just buy a 900 gph pump and sort out the rest.

This is so true! My husband built our canister filter from a water pump he had laying around, and it ROCKS. It was fun to build and research different media...it's all our own design. :D I just bought a new HOB for my 10 gallon, but I couldn't live with the cartridges so I put my own media in there....lol. Once you see how well the simple stuff works, it's not a matter of money.....it's fun to make it your own, and it just works so darn well! :dance:

Jill said:
This is so true! My husband built our canister filter from a water pump he had laying around, and it ROCKS. It was fun to build and research different media...it's all our own design. :D I just bought a new HOB for my 10 gallon, but I couldn't live with the cartridges so I put my own media in there....lol. Once you see how well the simple stuff works, it's not a matter of money.....it's fun to make it your own, and it just works so darn well! :dance:

Yeah, I also ditches the media cartridges. Too expensive and wasteful...the filter floss would still be rinsable but I would have to pitch the carbon. So I only use floss in mine now.

Back
Top Bottom