Diy Rock Project

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Looking great, of course.

I really like that color though. Maybe getting another shade of grout and sponging them together to get a more natural look? What color would the stain be?

Brutal!

It was VERY difficult to apply the first coat on such a rough, porous, surface....that, a poor glue job (or just the wrong glue), and applying too thick a coat, caused my first piece to almost fall apart. I'm hoping that the first coat will be enough to strengthen each piece and make the surface more "brushable"

It's also really discouraging how difficult it is to brush the insides of the holes....especially the smaller ones!

Well, this is my trial run and next time I will definitely make a more brush friendly shape. LOL

TheCrazyFishLady said:

I really like that color though. Maybe getting another shade of grout and sponging them together to get a more natural look? What color would the stain be?

After brushing that stuff on I can't even think about color. Haha! I just want it to be grouted and done.

TheCrazyFishLady said:

You are right about the color...it's just what I want. I currently have lava rock in my tank and It's causing my Leleupi to darken a bit. This will be perfect.

I made my own rock but i did not use foam. I used portland cement, crushed coral or similar, and corse salt. Maybe if you combine the two and cote your fome in the mixture it might hold it down.

Here are some pics.

Attachments

• image-1760988452.jpg
    image-1760988452.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 102
  • image-2205289446.jpg
    image-2205289446.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 99
  • image-871233240.jpg
    image-871233240.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 102
brainless chef said:
Here are some pics.

Nice rock. Thanks for the suggestion but I'm way passed the sinking issue. I have no doubt that it will sink. I just need to get a good, strong coat of grout on.

If you mix rock salt with your grout you will get a nice porus effect on the rock. once hardened when you put it in water the salt will disintegrate leaving lots of little holes.

If you mix rock salt with your grout you will get a nice porus effect on the rock. once hardened when you put it in water the salt will disintegrate leaving lots of little holes.

That is a very clever idea. I like it a lot! why doesn't it dissolve in the cement mix? there is water in it...

I am going to make a couple small ones using that method. Thanks!

Mix it first then add you salt right before applying it. For some odd reason it wont dissolve. After it dries and cures then soak in water and all the salt will dissolve.

I do two parts cement, one part coral and one part salt. I don't know if it would be the same for grout but i think it would be the same.

I do two parts cement, one part coral and one part salt. I don't know if it would be the same for grout but i think it would be the same.

Yeah, I'm sure it's the same. Grout is just fine portland cement. The one I bought has sand.

What effect would salt rock have on cichlids?

I think it looks bad....Really what you should do is box it up and send it to me..Ill put it in my tank and hold it for you...Just to help out...ok LMAO! AWESOME JOB!

When you use cement or grout you have to soak your rock changing the water for 2 to 3 weeks. All the salt will dissolve before it goes in the tank. You want to soak it because cement has a lot of ph and it will bring the ph in your water up. You want to be to add your rock and water and test the ph then leave it for 24 hours and test it again and it should read the same ph. Thats when its safe to go in your tank.

Jmedic25 said:
I think it looks bad....Really what you should do is box it up and send it to me..Ill put it in my tank and hold it for you...Just to help out...ok LMAO! AWESOME JOB!

LOL! Thanks j

brainless chef said:
When you use cement or grout you have to soak your rock changing the water for 2 to 3 weeks. All the salt will dissolve before it goes in the tank. You want to soak it because cement has a lot of ph and it will bring the ph in your water up. You want to be to add your rock and water and test the ph then leave it for 24 hours and test it again and it should read the same ph. Thats when its safe to go in your tank.

Got it

Just curious, could you coat the rock in like an aquarium safe silicone and skip the pH difference and soaking? Or maybe some other clear coat top?

Is anything you are using toxic. I was just thinking of traces of chemicals leaking into the water over time.

TheCrazyFishLady said:
Just curious, could you coat the rock in like an aquarium safe silicone and skip the pH difference and soaking? Or maybe some other clear coat top?

This is something I have considered. The problem is, you lose your grainy texture to that shiny, plastic shell. It is an option though.

Back
Top Bottom