Diy Rock Project

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TankBoss

Aquarium Advice FINatic
After much frustration I have decided to make my own rockwork for my tangs.

I want one, large, porous centerpiece for my 55 gal. Texas holey rock solves my problem at $300 and artificial is either really expensive and beautiful, or kind of cool but not worth the price.

I made a small structure for my sons hermit crabs so I'm confident I can sculpt the structure, only, the structure floats....even though it has a fairly thick cement shell. I'm hoping I can solve my buoyancy issue by imbedding weights inside the structure before applying the grout.

Has anyone done this or created such a structure using a different approach?

What else are u using besides cement? What is the material causing it to float?

Rigid foam is causing it to float. So, hopefully, I can get the piece to sink with the weights. I'm still not quite sure how much weight my piece will require.

I found a recipe that calls for grout mixed with acrylic fortifier, so I'm using that. I plan to buy some fishing sinkers when I get my foam today, then, once my sculpting is finished, I will attach sinkers until it sinks.

TankBoss said:
After much frustration I have decided to make my own rockwork for my tangs.

I want one, large, porous centerpiece for my 55 gal. Texas holey rock solves my problem at $300 and artificial is either really expensive and beautiful, or kind of cool but not worth the price.

I made a small structure for my sons hermit crabs so I'm confident I can sculpt the structure, only, the structure floats....even though it has a fairly thick cement shell. I'm hoping I can solve my buoyancy issue by imbedding weights inside the structure before applying the grout.

Has anyone done this or created such a structure using a different approach?

Is is possible to hollow out the rigid foam somewhat beforehand, and then drill holes strategically in the structure to allow water to fill in and trapped air to escape?

This sounds like a great project. You should take pictures at various stages. Keep us updated.

I am planning to make it as porous as possible and hopefully get rid of enough mass that it is easily sunk.

I will post pics for sure. Starting it soon.

Jmedic25 said:
Can you attach it to a rock of peice of flat slate? Like many do for driftwood

I can attach something to the exterior...imbedding the weight just allows me to have a single piece ornament. Thanks for the suggestion.

Labenator65000 said:
I can't wait to see how this turns out. Are you certain that the foam material is not going to leach toxins into the water?

The foam material will be completely enclosed and sealed by with multiple layers of grout. The only danger, cited by people experienced with it, is the spike in ph....which will go away with a few weeks of soaking and rinsing. People have very expensive builds, all over youtube, with this application so I strongly believe its safe.

I just started sculpting and found out the adhesive isn't cured yet. Waiting is not my strong suit. lol

http://img140.imageshack.us/img140/6514/1328104583566.jpg

This thing is going to be a $300 piece of Texas holey rock when I'm finished. Haha! I have two of these and decided to carve up the small on first, just to get the artistic juices flowing.

I'm getting a heat gun today for smoothing the roughness caused by cutting. The grout will enable me to get a nice sand stone look... (So I hear)

Have you considered using your carved foam rock as a form pushed in to sand and filling the resulting cavity with concrete?

BillD said:
Have you considered using your carved foam rock as a form pushed in to sand and filling the resulting cavity with concrete?

I have considered concrete casting but, the detail I want is impossible using that method. You're definitely not going to cast a Texas holey rock form, like that. Not one as porous as I want anyway. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Sand paper and a can of compressed air will be very useful also, make sure when you are done sculpting to rinse it off so any dust can get out. Last thing you need in the future is a small crack and little particles getting all over the tank.

Malawi Freak said:
Sand paper and a can of compressed air will be very useful also, make sure when you are done sculpting to rinse it off so any dust can get out. Last thing you need in the future is a small crack and little particles getting all over the tank.

Good suggestion. Thanks!

This is so neat! I'm considering doing something similar to this for a riparium and a terrarium. Will be following to see how you do it, though.

TheCrazyFishLady said:
This is so neat! I'm considering doing something similar to this for a riparium and a terrarium. Will be following to see how you do it, though.

I think its going to work out great.

Labenator65000 said:
Wow that is looking great. You've got "mad skills" with a jigsaw :)

LOL! Thanks Lab! 2 dolla drywall saw from Walmart. I just looked at some holey rock and freestyled. I'm going to take some finer cutting tools to it and them see what I can accomplish with a heat gun. I'm excited about it. Thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom