Do I have to many rocks in my 75G?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Nope I don't think so, only suggestion I would have is a sand instead of gravel, but in the end it's your tank. I think it looks great the way it is!

Thank you. The fish really have a field day excavating and pilling the gravel. They never stop!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

The more the merrier. In my experience the more hideouts ther have the more they will all be out Chillin.

Edit: BTW tank looks nice.

Sent from my HTCEVODesign4G using Aquarium Advice mobile app

That is actually the glass cleaner.

I had another question regarding feeding. My fish do not like to come up and eat at the same spot which consequently means that I scatter food all over the aquarium (over feed). I currently run a FX6, Fluval 406, and an AquClear 110 and I still have to clean my filters more than I need to. Should I quit spoiling them and feed in one spot until they learn that they will get food there or no where? They are so territorial that they do not want to leave their spot.

I have my powerhead pointing to the surface of the water for good gas exchange. I guess I should point it more level in the water column to move around the food and waste.

You want to create even flow in your aquarium imagine flushing a square or rectangle toilet the less dead spots the better. Your cichlids will learn to recognize who feeds them when and where in the tank. It is a good idea to spread a little near the more timid fish while the larger ones are distracted.

Edit: you can also shut off the power head during feeding it worked in one of my old tanks with too much getting wasted.

Last edited:
I'm using two on opposite corners to create a clock wise flow. Not sure if it's the correct way but it seems to keep all the water moving around

Thanks for all the help. I am going to be this forums worst nightmare. All I have is questions! I am about ready to set up a 56G, I'll start a new thread on that one.

Thanks for all the help. I am going to be this forums worst nightmare. All I have is questions! I am about ready to set up a 56G, I'll start a new thread on that one.

Welcome to the MTS club.

curious, what did you end up doing with the power heads? I bought two for my 120 and I actually bought the size down for the reccomendation for my size tank but still seems like to much flow to me. I've been experimenting with just running them one at at time or both for about an hour a day

I recently moved my powerhead to the center of the tank, and the amount of current seems just right. The fish seem to enjoy the extra water movement, and it keeps all the poop and other debris off the bottom and able to go into the filters.

I may try moving one of mine to the center. right now it lifts everything up and swirls it around but blows it all right past the filters

Dude, change the gravel to PFS.
i changed my and love it and more importantly the fish like it more.
Plus it looks better IMO.

Also, keeps tank much cleaner

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I have a sand base with crushed coral mixed with regular brown rock. You are right, I wish I would have gone with straight sand. So much crap gets caught in that rock. Will know next time.

I use echo complete cichlid substrate sand. I agree its a ton better than the gravel I was using both aeshetically and the fish seem to enjoy sifting around in it more

Black diamond blasting sand looks amazing in a cichlid setup.

Back
Top Bottom