Do I need another filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chew valley

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have now sold my community fish that I had as I wish to change the tank to a cichlid tank. Still not sure if I will either go with Africans or with a pair of Jack Dempseys.

My tank is 240 litres (63 gallons) and I currently have an Eheim 2217 canister filter (says it is suitable for tanks up to 600 litres. Output consumption is 1000 litres per hour). I also have the internal filter that came with it, it's a Juwel Rio 240 tank.

So my question is, is the canister filter and the internal filter sufficient or should I also get an additional one? I know either options I go for need better filtration than my old fish I had.

I have always done weekly 25% water changes but would like to cut this down to fortnightly if possible although the weekly changes are not too much effort.

Extra filtration will never hurt, but if you go with the jd's I don't think you will absolutely need it. If you do Africans it depends on how many.

Better to be safer than sorry and just add on a hob filter.

You will still need to do weekly water changes though.

Adding filtration will do nothing to eliminate/reduce the need for water changes, as mentioned. Your filtration sounds more than adequate. Keep in mind that every hard surface in the tank becomes part of the filter.

Agreed with the above statements. You have sufficient filtration, but keep in mind that the end-product of biological filtration is Nitrates, which are most effectively controlled with partial water changes.

Great thanks for the advice.

Yes doing weekly changes is not a big deal for me really and may buy a HOB anyway as they seem to be cheap as chips compared to canisters.

If you really feel like you need more filtration bio wise (I don't think you do, but more can't hurt if you want it), try a bubble filter hidden behind decorations. You can buy nice ones from AZOO for less than 10 bucks if you already have the air line and air pump. They are weighted to stay on the bottom, so cichlids can mess with them and the sand under them, but it won't hurt the filter or fish.

Should you decide to add more tanks, they make wonderful bio-seeding filters in the new tanks AND if your fish have fry, bubble filters work great in rearing tanks as well. Not to mention increased gas exchange.

Minimal investment and a pretty good return.

Back
Top Bottom