Do I really need a air stone?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Convict2161

Aquarium Advice Addict
Pet store ploy?! I have my 55 gallon bow front and a marineland pro series 350 dual filter and dual bio wheel. It's good up to 70-75 gallons. Anyway this girl in my LFS when I went to look for my bristlenose told me it's an ABSOLUTE MUST that I get a air stone, hose, check valve and she suggested a whisper something or other. Said I needed it for proper oxygen in my tank and my fish are suffering with out.

Then went on to tell me I should research more and started asking all kinds of questions about how many fish, what kind, and on and on and on... I asked for the manager and pulled him aside and told him that although it's nice to have employees that are passionate about there job, they need to know when enough is enough! You see I'm a fire chief and deal with the public everyday and. One across all kinds, you just have to know how to talk to them. I felt like I was being treated like a 5 year old!

Anyhow... Do I really need this air stone thing? I mean of I NEED for the health of my fish then I will buy one tomorrow. But I've been reading A LOT and doesn't seem like I need one. It appears I'm getting enough water agitation from the bigger filtration system I've bought.

Thoughts?

Thanks guys...

I wouldn't worry about it with that filter. I think there is enough gas exchange with the water fall effect.

I don't know if it's essential but I have one just in case. My filter has a built in airstone thing where you can plug in your air pump. I don't bother with it though. I use and like the long flexible bubble wands. They're cheap too.

IMO air-stone / batter powered airpumps can be an indispensable piece of equipment. Normal filtration should provide enough gas exchange to keep oxygen levels at good levels so for many of us, they are more decorative.

However, the issue isn't when your filters are running, it's when your filter seizes at the wrong time (while your on a week long trip) or when you lose power. In both cases an air-stone with a battery backup can at least keep gas exchanging enough to keep your stock alive.

FWIW I've had several tanks go overnight, or most of the day without any circulation at all and they have always been fine. Actually 2 days ago in my fishroom one of the 1/2" air lines I have piped around the ceiling came loose and over 35 tanks went all night without any filtration at all and there was no resulting issues.

If the tank was heavily stocked it might be a problem but not one I've ever run into.

No, you do not need an air stone, most of the air exchange happens at the surface anyway, and if you have enough surface agitation then you are getting plenty of air exchange. I was so happy to find out I didn't have to have the noisy pumps and mess with more wires and tubing.

I use some cause they look cool and I'm well stocked so it's up to you. She was definitely just trying to make a sale.

Thanks a lot guys for all your in put. I'm gonna just stick to with what I have. I already have a bigger filtration system. Running a filter for a 75 and have a 55. I think that should be plenty.

Thanks again...

Back
Top Bottom