Do Mbuna like water flow?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

slayer72

Aquarium Advice Freak
Just wondering if mbuna like moving water? I have plenty of surface agitation for gas exchange. I was thinking of buying a powerhead/wavemaker for current. Good idea, yes or no? Tank size is a 4ft. 75 gallon.

I have a marineland maxi jet 600 in my 125g and i set it on wavemaker (when i put it togethe it gave me 3 options) let me tell you it moves the water ... my fish luv it the way i set it up it makes waves at the top but has current down through the water and they frequently line up and swim in it .. my acei stay in it almost all day ;)

I have a maxijet 900 in my 55g mbuna tank and they love to play in the current. Plus it helps keep the bottom clean.

Ya, I have korlina 1050 (can't remember if that's the right name). Anyways, I don't have to vacuum because nothing hits the bottom, also my fish spend a good part of the day swimming in the current.

I have a maxijet 900 in my 55g mbuna tank and they love to play in the current. Plus it helps keep the bottom clean.

Reviewers on Amazon said the Maxijet is the Harley Davidson of powerheads. Powerful but loud. Lol! Have you noticed this?

They are not very loud at all. I would be surprised if you can hear it once it is in the tank.

Reviewers on Amazon said the Maxijet is the Harley Davidson of powerheads. Powerful but loud. Lol! Have you noticed this?

The older ones are quiet the newer ones are loud at first until it builds a slime coat on the impeller shaft but I noticed if I shake all the air out and tilt it at a certain angle it is a lot quieter.

I think I'm going to try the Hydor Koralia 850. Seems to have good reviews and its affordable.

Back
Top Bottom