Does an all male cichlid tank work?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jakepen

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a 70 gallon tank, almost ready to put fish in. I don't really want to be dealing with mothers holding, transferring and raising fry. So how does an all male tank work, how many of each breed can I have, how many fish all together? What are the pros and cons, if there are no females, will there colors not fully show? I'm really curious, please let me know

A lot of people do all male tanks. They will still color up beautifully. You can go with as many of a kind that you want (keeping in mind aggression levels of certain fish).

In a 75 you could probably put about 20ish full size cichlids

I have a 70 gallon tank, almost ready to put fish in. I don't really want to be dealing with mothers holding, transferring and raising fry. So how does an all male tank work, how many of each breed can I have, how many fish all together? What are the pros and cons, if there are no females, will there colors not fully show? I'm really curious, please let me know

All male peacock tanks have ALOT of color and work. I can't speak from experience but I know people that have all make peacock tanks. There pretty popular.

http://youtu.be/bDxXAsZ8s_I

This guy has some great videos

Ok awesome, might just do an all male tank than.

How do I put only male, say red zebras in? If I get them from a petsmart, will they be able to sex them?

Very doubtful petsmart people are not the brightest. Honestly with zebras you can just take your best guess and if you notice one holding one day then you can give her away or sell her or something like that. If your starting with small fish then your not going to have a 100% male tank at the start it just takes some time and weeding them out to get all males

Very doubtful petsmart people are not the brightest. Honestly with zebras you can just take your best guess and if you notice one holding one day then you can give her away or sell her or something like that. If your starting with small fish then your not going to have a 100% male tank at the start it just takes some time and weeding them out to get all males

I wouldn't call them "not bright" -- they just aren't trained. ;)

You should order the ones you like online from livefishdirect or find a good local fish store that sells cichlids

You should order the ones you like online from livefishdirect or find a good local fish store that sells cichlids

Ya, I go to my lfs store pretty often looking at cichlids, he has more unique fish which I like. But he doesn't have common ones like yellow labs, zebras, demasonis, Kenyis. So I may just get those guys from petsmart. And as far as online goes, this is my first cichlid tank, and it is not the setup I really want, and I'm in an appt. with a one year lease. So all these factors playing in, I decided I'm not going to invest a Huge amount of money into my fish, when I'm not sure what will happen in a year. When I'm somewhere for a few years, and have a bigger tank, ya I'll order my dream team online.

i have an all male tank that i set up 2 1/2 years ago. i have south american dwarf cichlids, (cockatoo, blue rams, golden rams, apistos) tetras, gouramis. rainbow fish, etc. they all get along great. if you keep females out of the tank they really don't have anything to fight about. also most males are more colorful than females so it does give you beautiful color in the tank.

Back
Top Bottom