Does anyone see a problem?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bags101

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a 55 gallon with a 20 gallon sump and a RIO 2500 pump. I just got 7 Cichlids and would like to know if I could get a few more or is 7 enough for this tank size. The fish I got are
2 Yellow Labs
1 Mainganos
1 Auratus Golden
2 Cobalt Blue
1 Red Zebra
They are really small about 1 inch long and all came from the same tank. I am not sure about what sex they are yet. If I could get a few more what would be some recommendations? Oh and would like to know if these fish generally get along well.

As you see they are really small. I just wanted to get them all together so that way they grow up with one n other.. How many fish would you recommend in a 55 to keep aggression down?

Attached Thumbnails

Attached Thumbnails

It is not just about the amount of fish to reduce the aggression but also the types of fish you have.
You have three pretty aggressive types of fish there.The auratus,maingano and red zebra.Cobalts can also be fairly aggressive.The yellow labs are the easiest going in your tank and to date I have not had other types of cichlid bothering my labs at all.They seem to be accepted by one and all.
Generally I would say you could do fifteen to twenty fish in a 55 gallon tank but you need to watch your more aggressive fish very carefully,especially your Auratus.Auratus can be vicious fish and are definately killers.However each individual fish is different and there are acceptions.
I would try to add more of the same types you already have.As Malawi Freak already stated Females if possible but at their current size that could be nearly impossible.You may have to go by trial and error and hope you choose females.If they turn out to be Males you may have to rehome them
I hope this is helpful to you and enjoy your cichlid tank :)

Dont mean to thread jack but I was wondering how many of these fish I can put in a 40g breeder? Ive heard people say they have some in a 40g breeder and then others saying a 40g breeder is to small.

It is not just about the amount of fish to reduce the aggression but also the types of fish you have.
You have three pretty aggressive types of fish there.The auratus,maingano and red zebra.Cobalts can also be fairly aggressive.The yellow labs are the easiest going in your tank and to date I have not had other types of cichlid bothering my labs at all.They seem to be accepted by one and all.
Generally I would say you could do fifteen to twenty fish in a 55 gallon tank but you need to watch your more aggressive fish very carefully,especially your Auratus.Auratus can be vicious fish and are definately killers.However each individual fish is different and there are acceptions.
I would try to add more of the same types you already have.As Malawi Freak already stated Females if possible but at their current size that could be nearly impossible.You may have to go by trial and error and hope you choose females.If they turn out to be Males you may have to rehome them
I hope this is helpful to you and enjoy your cichlid tank :)

Hey thanks for the advice. When they are small like this I guess you just have to wait it out and then get more and thin them out as they get older bigger and you can tell if they are male or female...

BTW bags101 awesome looking fish. All full of color and looking healthy!

Thanks had them for about 4 days now. They are pretty cool they all hang out together...
I have read on this forum that you can do yellow labs and a few other kinds if you have a good filter and you do your w/c every week...

Dont mean to thread jack but I was wondering how many of these fish I can put in a 40g breeder? Ive heard people say they have some in a 40g breeder and then others saying a 40g breeder is to small.

Here is a thread where they are talking about it.. You will get a lot of different answers. I usually go with what the majority of the people say..

New African Mbuna 55 gallon tank! (
multipage.gif
1 2)

Mbuna stocking

Back
Top Bottom