Does my baby Red Oscar have "hole in the head"?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sealife

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Does my baby Red Oscar have hole in the head ?

I just bought a happy, baby Red Oscar Cichlid from LFS and adore him.

I mainly chose him for his colours. I thought the red was nice and bright and he had cool patterns elsewhere.

At the fish store, he was in a tank with about 6 oscars. They were all happy and healthy. Some torn fins here and there but nothing major.

When I got him home I realised a pale pattern colour on both sides of his head. He has this exact some colour and pattern on both sides of his head.

At first I thought it was cool. But now im worried if I chose an oscar with "hole in the head".
I dont see an indent or caved hole, but maybe he's too small for that to form yet. The colour of the pattern does look like "hole in the head." But it has the exact same matching pattern on other side of head.

LEFT SIDE:
View image: 20150817 150855

RIGHT SIDE:
View image: 20150817 150825

Can someone have a look at pictures I took of both sides of the head and tell me if its just a cool color pattern or "hole in the head".

He is very alert and happy and swims around whole tank and eats like a horse. Spends most time at top of tank begging for more food.

My tank details are:
55g tank.
48 x 14 x 18
Eheim 2217 canister filter.
Oscar lives alone in tank.

Water specs are:
0ppm Ammonia
0ppm Nitrite
5ppm to 10ppm Nitrate

Thanks.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Ive had him for 3 weeks now. No change.

How long does hole in the head take to progress or change? Cause I cant see any difference so far.

I'm sure you put salts in to help right? Your smarter than me when it comes to this stuff. From what I read in your posts

Sent from my SM-G360T1 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Can't tell from the pics because of the resolution but is it actually a hole on both sides?

I put nothing so far, lol

Dont know if its just a color pattern or hole in the head.

Also dont know if salts help with hole in the head.

Yes its on both sides, but the patterns are exactly the same on each side. It's like a design.

Thats why I'm not sure if its hole in the head or just a pattern.

If I get a chance I will try take a better picture.

The little guy moves around too much.

I would treat the water for parasites just in case, or tell the person you got it from that you want a new one.

Lol @ want a new one

I adore the little guy.
Dont want to give him back.

I have good clean water so far. I'll see how he goes in my tank for a while.

It may just be a pattern.

Lol just an option I had to use when I had a jd that was very sick. But didn't realize it until I got it In my tank.

The picture isn't close enough to show anything. I'm sure what your seeing is just the sensory pits which is normal. It's when the sensory pits start to erode is when you have to be concerned.

With regards to the fish color and pattern, what your seeing now is nothing like what the adult fish will look like.

Hi Hukit,
I dont see any erosion yet, but I was worried this "could" be early stage hole in the head. As the markings look so similar to what I've seen online with the disease, without any erosion.

I will try take a close up picture soon

I just cant seem to take a closer pic.
Everytime I go near the tank, he gets so excited and happy cause he thinks im gonna feed him, he swims like crazy...

Can I ask, how fast does hole in the head progress?

He does not seem to have any eroding from what I can see in the blur of movement.

This is normal sensory pits.

27198-albums2013-picture13427.jpg

This is a rescue from a few years ago with HLLE, you can see the erosion.

27198-albums2013-picture13429.jpg

Last edited:
I dont know what I'm supposed to see. Both look healthy to me.

I dont know what I'm supposed to see. Both look healthy to me.

Yes, the second picture shows a huge erosion spot in the middle of her head that measured around 8-10mm.

Last edited:
Ok I see it now.
Thanks.

I would treat the water for parasites just in case, or tell the person you got it from that you want a new one.

Why are you recommending advice for something you know absolutely nothing about?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Why are you recommending advice for something you know absolutely nothing about?

Sorry I forgot to pretend I know everything by googling it first, my bad.

Does my baby Red Oscar have "hole in the head"?

I would just concentrate on water quality by doing frequent water changes and not to over feed. Oscars are messy eaters therefore messing the water real fast.
My point, a lot of those diseases are brought on by poor water quality.
BYW, nice Oscar!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom