Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Cichlid Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-07-2013, 04:36 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Does your LFS buy your fry?

I used to live in downstate NY and I had some great LFS that encouraged local breeding. They would by fry with instore credit. It wasn't much but it was something and I think they got a deal of having healthy fish that they know where they came from. I never made a profit but I had extra money for supplies.

I am now in upstate ny and most of places around here will only take them as a donation then they turn around and sell them and make a profit. I am almost offended by there offer. I understand if I was tearing down a tank or wanted to re-home a fish sure donation only. But they will generously take my fish and then sell them for $10-$15 a pop. I'm not talking mollies and guppies here but large cichlids.

Yes I know I can sell them on my own but I want to rant lol thanks for bearing with my tiraid. What is it like for others around the country?

Old 11-07-2013, 04:43 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Regular

Where I am from in Alabama, most of the private shops will buy fry for a few bucks each or give you more I'm store credit. Talking
Cichlids.

Old 11-07-2013, 07:32 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I'm in Michigan, and my LFS will take almost every fish i give except hybrids, and sick ones! They only give me in-store credit and only 1/2 of what the fish is actually worth, but its still a really nice way to get more stuff! They also said that if i start bringing in enough fish, they might give me a little more money, or change to cash! So mine is like your first one, except its a real big hobbyist LFS. I haven't seen anything like flowerhorns or parrot cichlids in the store either, and they make sure you have a good size tank to house the fish you buy in. And the employees actually give good advice and are big hobbyists themselves!
Old 11-07-2013, 08:17 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmarine View Post
I'm in Michigan, and my LFS will take almost every fish i give except hybrids, and sick ones! They only give me in-store credit and only 1/2 of what the fish is actually worth, but its still a really nice way to get more stuff! They also said that if i start bringing in enough fish, they might give me a little more money, or change to cash! So mine is like your first one, except its a real big hobbyist LFS. They don't buy or sell anything like flowerhorns or parrot cichlids, and they make sure you have a good size tank to house the fish you buy in. And the employees actually give good advice and are big hobbyists themselves!
Which store?
Old 11-07-2013, 08:47 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freakgecko91 View Post
Which store?
I think i've actually told you about it, Blue Fish Aquarium in Grandville. It the only store i go to now for fish!
Old 11-07-2013, 08:59 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I usually get a nice deal with 4 bucks with yellow labs and 3 bucks for kenyi not to bad because my fish are breeding machines and have about 20 to 30 each batch
Old 11-08-2013, 12:36 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Ala View Post
Where I am from in Alabama, most of the private shops will buy fry for a few bucks each or give you more I'm store credit. Talking Cichlids.
Jon. What part of bama u from?
Old 11-08-2013, 08:04 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Regular

I'm from Birmingham, you?
Old 11-08-2013, 08:57 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmarine View Post
I think i've actually told you about it, Blue Fish Aquarium in Grandville. It the only store i go to now for fish!
I've never been there, I have family out that way might have to stop by and check the place out. I live in Lansing so the only store around here is Preuss Pets and I have mixed feelings about them.
Old 11-08-2013, 09:10 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Regular

A few years ago I saw eggs in the tank and put the adult fish in another tank. Didn't know if it was Lemon Tetras or Cories. After they hatched I found out they were Cories. Must have been at least 100! When they were about 3 months old, I decided they needed to go to someone that had tank space for them. Took them to the LFS I use today and they would take them, but no store credit. So I gave them away. They asked me if I wanted them to go in their display tanks or put them up for sale. I said I didn't care. I hated to get rid of those little guys, but was not going to invest in a huge tank setup to keep them.

---20 long with Emperor Tetras, Lemon Tetras, and Cory Catfish------20 long project under construction---
NoNitrates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 09:18 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Those of you who can sell them are lucky. I miss my old LFS I actually stop by there when I am driving through and we all catch up like old friends. Where I live now there is one local chain that has dominated the industry and I cant figure out why they are rude and have horrible selection. I have one place 45 minutes from where I live that I go to. They are great but they actually have the same fry I have right now firemouths, So I am not going to bother asking them.
Old 11-08-2013, 09:32 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

I've been told in-store credit by all and have received in-store credit from some.
Old 11-08-2013, 03:18 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musicfreak View Post
I've never been there, I have family out that way might have to stop by and check the place out. I live in Lansing so the only store around here is Preuss Pets and I have mixed feelings about them.
Gotcha, yeah Blue Fish is a great store! I love going there! They have great fish, and the staff is just all really nice and knowledgeable! I go in there so much they all know me by name and pretty much my whole stock!
Old 11-08-2013, 05:50 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Ala View Post
I'm from Birmingham, you?
Gadsden Alabama
Old 11-10-2013, 01:38 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musicfreak View Post
Or if you're ever out near Livonia, check out Fantastic fins, otherwise you're limited.

Preuss' can be great for certain types of fish, but are generally expensive on everything

Tags
fry, lfs

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com