Does your LFS buy your fry?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rivers2k

Aquarium Advice Addict
I used to live in downstate NY and I had some great LFS that encouraged local breeding. They would by fry with instore credit. It wasn't much but it was something and I think they got a deal of having healthy fish that they know where they came from. I never made a profit but I had extra money for supplies.

I am now in upstate ny and most of places around here will only take them as a donation then they turn around and sell them and make a profit. I am almost offended by there offer. I understand if I was tearing down a tank or wanted to re-home a fish sure donation only. But they will generously take my fish and then sell them for $10-$15 a pop. I'm not talking mollies and guppies here but large cichlids.

Yes I know I can sell them on my own but I want to rant lol :) thanks for bearing with my tiraid. What is it like for others around the country?

Where I am from in Alabama, most of the private shops will buy fry for a few bucks each or give you more I'm store credit. Talking
Cichlids.

I'm in Michigan, and my LFS will take almost every fish i give except hybrids, and sick ones! They only give me in-store credit and only 1/2 of what the fish is actually worth, but its still a really nice way to get more stuff! They also said that if i start bringing in enough fish, they might give me a little more money, or change to cash! So mine is like your first one, except its a real big hobbyist LFS. I haven't seen anything like flowerhorns or parrot cichlids in the store either, and they make sure you have a good size tank to house the fish you buy in. And the employees actually give good advice and are big hobbyists themselves!

I'm in Michigan, and my LFS will take almost every fish i give except hybrids, and sick ones! They only give me in-store credit and only 1/2 of what the fish is actually worth, but its still a really nice way to get more stuff! They also said that if i start bringing in enough fish, they might give me a little more money, or change to cash! So mine is like your first one, except its a real big hobbyist LFS. They don't buy or sell anything like flowerhorns or parrot cichlids, and they make sure you have a good size tank to house the fish you buy in. And the employees actually give good advice and are big hobbyists themselves!

Which store?

I usually get a nice deal with 4 bucks with yellow labs and 3 bucks for kenyi not to bad because my fish are breeding machines and have about 20 to 30 each batch

I think i've actually told you about it, Blue Fish Aquarium in Grandville. It the only store i go to now for fish!
I've never been there, I have family out that way might have to stop by and check the place out. I live in Lansing so the only store around here is Preuss Pets and I have mixed feelings about them.

A few years ago I saw eggs in the tank and put the adult fish in another tank. Didn't know if it was Lemon Tetras or Cories. After they hatched I found out they were Cories. Must have been at least 100! When they were about 3 months old, I decided they needed to go to someone that had tank space for them. Took them to the LFS I use today and they would take them, but no store credit. So I gave them away. They asked me if I wanted them to go in their display tanks or put them up for sale. I said I didn't care. I hated to get rid of those little guys, but was not going to invest in a huge tank setup to keep them.

Those of you who can sell them are lucky. I miss my old LFS I actually stop by there when I am driving through and we all catch up like old friends. Where I live now there is one local chain that has dominated the industry and I cant figure out why they are rude and have horrible selection. I have one place 45 minutes from where I live that I go to. They are great but they actually have the same fry I have right now firemouths, So I am not going to bother asking them.

I've never been there, I have family out that way might have to stop by and check the place out. I live in Lansing so the only store around here is Preuss Pets and I have mixed feelings about them.
Gotcha, yeah Blue Fish is a great store! I love going there! They have great fish, and the staff is just all really nice and knowledgeable! I go in there so much they all know me by name and pretty much my whole stock!

Or if you're ever out near Livonia, check out Fantastic fins, otherwise you're limited.

Preuss' can be great for certain types of fish, but are generally expensive on everything

Back
Top Bottom