Dorky Angelfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Allivymar

Aquarium Advice Addict
So I moved my mated pair into the 25g with the rams, and the female layed eggs Mon evening. This afternoon the eggs hatched, and she is busy moving them from the intake tube where she layed em to a big leaf. Problem is, the leaf has some algae on it, and the wigglers aren't sticking that well. Bigger problem is, my male is a HUGE klutz, and keeps knocking wigglers off with his tail as he swims past LOL the poor momma is having a time trying to retrieve the ones that fell off as well as getting the hatching ones off the tube. He's oblivious. He tries to help grab the fallen wigglers, and winds up knocking more off; good thing I have black sand in there so she can find em!

So Alli, what you're saying is, your male angel is acting like a male human? LOL!

(Dodges tomatoes being thrown by the guys on this forum...)

LOL I dunno if I could compare him to a human guy, unless its one who keeps dropping the baby LOL He's great otherwise; I went to algae scrape the walls and Oh My! He viciously attacked the scraper as it obviously posed a threat *grin* (ack...whats gonna happen when I water change? LOL)

Grabbed a couple more pics; one is mom moving more babies off the tube, the other is a close-up of the wigglers. Its a bit fuzzy, but you can see how much they look like sperm LOL

LOL...

*unearthing some very old cabbages, eggplants and tomatoes from my fridge and throwing them at Myriam!*

Watch it! :wink:

Despite dad's clumsiness, we actually have surviving wigglers! I figure out of about 4-500 eggs, we must have about 250 viable wigglers. Cool! When they start free swimming, I'm going to take a deep breathe, then remove about half and try to raise em myself (and let mom raise the rest). Then we'll see who's better at it ;)

And to make things even more complicated, my rams are getting ready to lay again as well. Yep, same tank. They've paired off and are busy digging depressions (and diggin up my damn plants again!). Oi.

Wiggly wigglers:

Wish I knew; 3 months ago this was the death tank. I lost 6 or 7 (I forget) rams and a bullnose plec in there!

I think its luck LOL I managed to find fish that are horny *evil grin*

Thats right! (how many kudos do I owe you for that one William? LOL)

Great pictures!

I wouldn't count losing Rams against your record. Even with perfect water they don't last too long. They fall in the same category as fiddler crabs for me: very cool and very tempting, but bound to end in dissappointment.

Actually tsonnenl, the new bunch is disgustingly healthy (and fertile). But the first bunch came with a nasty case of columnaris; nothing I did could save em. Was pretty bummed, but these guys do make up for it *grin*

And, as predicted, they layed this morning *grin* Before 9 am, so I missed it (I guess rams prefer a little early morning nookie as opposed to the afternoon delight of the angelfish LOL). So far so good; they haven't eaten the eggs although the angelfish come over and harass em from time to time. We'll find out tomorrow how many were fertilised, as I'm sure the angels were buggin em, but its still very cool. If all goes well, I may have freeswimming angels AND rams later on next week LOL Oi.

Haha, after rereading my own post advising against rams, I look over and realize that I'm not able to follow my own advice and overcome temptation, as I see the pair of gold rams in my tank!

I see the pink on the fins; are those Bolivians? I was tempted by those at the LFS last time, but since they had only males I went with the smaller gold rams instead. I hope these two prove me wrong. This is the third time I've tried rams, twice with gold and once with blue, and they never lasted more than a few months and never got any larger than a quarter.

All Bolivians; last time was a mix of Bolivians and Germans. They're still small; just over an inch long and I've had em for a month. This is their second laying; talk about surprised! I figured I had a coupla months before they even showed an interest. They layed eggs a week after entering that tank (which was their QT tank as well). Really threw me, as I had planned on adding the paired angels that are in their now, and had no idea what would happen with 2 breeding pair of cichlids! Had to move the pair tho; 7 angels in a 55g just doesn't work ;) So far so good; they have chosen opposite sides of the tank to lay. We'll see if WW3 starts next week when all the fry are free swimming *grin*

I have read Bolivians are hardier; can't say personally as I lost both Germans and Bolivians last time, but I have to say these guys are in great health.

Auughh. I spoke to soon. 30 mins after that last post the angelfish started moving the wigglers again. Onto a java fern leaf right next to the ram's eggs. Oi! I have a feeling I may not see ram fry this time; the angels are busy chasing the poor parents away (I guess they're too close) and I can't move that huge rock LOL Ah well. Next time :)

*sniffle* I did William; the eggs were eaten about a half hour ago. No ram fry this time, although once I finish with the angelfish fry I'm gonna give the rams a chance *grin*

Gets worse tho; we got home from dinner a little while ago and discovered ANOTHER one of my angels is about ready to lay a few eggs. Her tube is just about all the way dropped and shes busy cleaning slate with one of my other angels. I give her 24-48 hours before she pops.

Oi. I'm drinking bottled water from here on in.

Allivymar you just have that perfect pH tap water and some major fishy fry mojo goin' on! You can't help it. Madame Tankini gazes into her crystal ball and sees a capacious fish room in your future... What's the basement like in that old building you are in?

Heh, the basement has 2 apts in it and the boiler. I wonder if I can convince the landlord to just give us all fireplaces *grin*

Anyway, as I thought, free swimming angelfish today - yay!! Momma and dad are doing an amazing job parenting, although the rams aren't thrilled (poor buggers are stuck in the back corner of the tank). I pulled about 20 and put em into a bare bottom 10g; we'll see how they goes.

Some pics:

Back
Top Bottom