Double Filtration and Fish Ammonia Production..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lonelobster

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey guys I have two things to discuss here.

First off, I have a 90 gallon aquarium its currently cycling. I've been using Dr Tim's Ammonium Chloride as my ammonia source and its worked perfect. I currently have one Eheim 2075 and I just purchased a second. I plan on leaving the bio media in one and using the second one as more of a mechanical filter for particulates. My problem is I can only hook them up on one side of my aquarium because my aquarium has a 4 inch dropped glass ledge on the inside of the canopy and there is only cutout on one side for filter in/outputs (if you have any ideas of how I could work around the dropped ledge I'd appreciate it)

Second, I'm looking to add 12 male 3" Aulonacara and Haplocromis all at once. How much ammonia should my biofilter be able to convert into nitrate within 24 hours before I can safely add all these fish?

currently i'm converting between 3-4 mg/L of ammonia within 24 hours.

That's a good amount of ammonia in 24 hours. Looks like you have enough ammonia consuming bacteria.

Are you converting the same amount of nitrite in a 24 hour period?

Looks like you are cycled and can add fish after a water change. What's the nitrate reading now?

Back
Top Bottom