Dried Algea

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shadysyrup313

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a bucket of Aquarium sand I had put outside to dry (and not stink up my house). Its dry now and I want the sand in another aquarium. I noticed while it was outside it developed a lot of algae over the sand. I'm sure this is largely due to kids constantly pouring water into the bucket while playing, which took forever for it to finally dry. I was wondering if after I rinse the sand, if it would be ok if I placed it in a cichlid tank. Would some remaining dried algae cause any negative effects?

I can't see it being a huge problem. I would say rinse it the best you can and try to get all of it out. I really don't think it will harm the tank. At least I don't think it will come back "alive" when it goes into the water.

It wouldnt bother me if it came back alive, one of my plecos is 12inches and will devour any algae very fast. I just don't want harm to come to the fish. Not sure if other bacteria would be on the algae or not. Ect.

Back
Top Bottom