driftwood from the river

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chas10

Aquarium Advice Activist
So I'm thinking about going down to the river to find a nice piece of driftwood for my 75 and possibly some rocks. I know I'd have to scrub and boil it but the problem is Im looking to find a big piece that will probably be to large to boil. Is there another way to prep it without boiling?

So I'm thinking about going down to the river to find a nice piece of driftwood for my 75 and possibly some rocks. I know I'd have to scrub and boil it but the problem is Im looking to find a big piece that will probably be to large to boil. Is there another way to prep it without boiling?
you could probably find a big rubbermaid tub at walmart for like 5 bucks to boil it in. If you dont boil it theres really no other way i know of to cure it. I have heard of putting it in the stove but im not sure how that works either. Id say get a big tub and boil it or at least put it in the bath tub and try. You should also make sure it is boiled and soaked for like a week so that everything that could be in it is out. With the rocks, just boil and scrub repeatedly

Using Local Rocks and Driftwood

Hello chas...

You don't have go to that much trouble getting pieces you find ready for the tank. I just rinse the pieces real well and put them into the tank. The rocks should go through the vinegar test. Just get some from the store and put a few drops on the rock. If there's any kind of a reaction, you don't use it. Otherwise, put it in the tank.

The chances of introducing a harmful bacteria is extremely remote, I wouldn't worry about it.

B

you could probably find a big rubbermaid tub at walmart for like 5 bucks to boil it in. If you dont boil it theres really no other way i know of to cure it. I have heard of putting it in the stove but im not sure how that works either. Id say get a big tub and boil it or at least put it in the bath tub and try. You should also make sure it is boiled and soaked for like a week so that everything that could be in it is out. With the rocks, just boil and scrub repeatedly

How would I do that tho just boil water then pour it in the tub?

I have a huge piece in my 90. I just 5 times a day refil the sink it's in with the hottest water I can get. It seems fine

Whenever I use rocks for my fish tank or my bearded dragons cage I always bake them at 200 degrees f for an hour. This way it kills the bacteria.

Back
Top Bottom