dwarf/apisto: 2 pairs in a 30g? Doable?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

balasharkfreak

Aquarium Advice Regular
Was wondering if I could fit two different pairs of dwarf cichlids or apistos in a 30g tank and add nothing else. I have some rock formations with tunnels and caves.

any advice would be apprecited,
dan

I'd also add lots of plants and driftwood to further break up sight lines and provide additional territorial markers.

I keep several species of apistos in a planted 125gal with no probs. Very doable.

Something I forgot about: certain types of apistos can inter-breed, so it's important to choose carefully so this doesn't happen.

Which species were you interested in?

well,

i think im going about this the wrong way. How bout I list fish that I would like and can everyone tell me what type of fish they are, if they would be okay for a 30g and if theyd get along with other species? Here are a few Ive found...

- Just about any convicts
- apistogramma inka 50
- Neolamprologus brichardi
- Challinochromis brichardi
- Kasagara brichardi
- Cichlasoma Nigrofasciatum - calico convict
- Pseudotropheus Demasoni

Dont like the look of most kribs, apistos. I like the look of the true cichlid; by that I mean Jack Dempseys, Green Terrors,..I'd like fish that look like these but arent nearly as aggressive. I was told by every fish store I talk to that you dont know what youre gonna get with cichlids due to their behavior. This is driving me crazy.

:evil:

Well I purchased three Kenyi cichlids and placed them in my 30g. I will most likely be selling my community fish from my 55g and converting that to a SW or cichlid tank.

I bought them at the store. I think I have 2m and 1f in the tank with 3 danios. Not positive on the sexes. They were mostly unsexed.

Every article I read had no mention of them being Mbuna and didn't know they were aggressive. I couldnt find any apistos or drawves at the store and wasnt about to pay ($50+) for a sexed pair online; so I thought Id try the Kenyi.

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_Display.cfm?siteid=21&pCatId=920

http://www.aquariacentral.com/fishinfo/fresh/kenyi.htm

I assume you meant Mbuna in your post?

After reading other posts (after searching for kenyi), I may return them for semi-aggressive cichlids like the Yellow Lab. I was told if they are too aggresive I can bring the kenyi back.

I'd go ahead and take the Kenyi back and get the yellow labs. Kenyi are nasty, nasty, nasty after reaching sexual maturity and I'm afraid one of the three you've got will quickly assume the dominant position in the tank- and with there only being two other fish to assume the brunt of his aggression, you're liable to lose one (or both) of them. The thing with Kenyi is to keep them in large enough groups that no one fish takes a lot of abuse- and you're maxed out as far as tank space goes. Yellow labs are really nice mbuna and are a great first cichlid.

Back
Top Bottom