Dwarf Cichlid

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Subaru

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Can I put a pair of Neolamprologus brevis and a pair of Neolamprologus multifasciatus in a 10 gal tank? Would that be over stocked??

I know both need a temp about 27-30C, same ph level 8.0 and hard water. I want to put in about 1 inch of sand, some rocks and about 6 snail shell.

So, will they do fine?
What filter should I use?? Would Aquaclear 150 be ok?

Theoretically, yes. N. mult gets to only about 1.5 inches, while N. brevis gets to only about 2 inches. Total length for these 2 species in pairs: 7 inches max.

I'm a bit of a stickler, and believe that most fish, esp. cichlids, really prefer and deserve a little more room. I'd give these guys at least 20 or 30 gallons to roam around in, as they're fun, lively fish when they're not hiding in shells.

Consider it... I think you'll enjoy watching these fish more if they have room to roam.

Yes, an Aquaclear 150 is filtration enough for such a tank, but I recommend a Penguin Mini or a Penguin 125, as these have biowheels to enhance and maintain biological filtration. I have a Penguin 125 on my 10 Gallon and it does a bang-up job (great).

I'd also advise a little more sand (1.5-2 inches) if you're going to go with that as a substrate. But also consider crushed coral. This is easier to clean with a gravel vacuum, and will still increase the pH a bit. Of course, crushed coral in the filter is the best way to ensure a constantly high pH. Lake Tanganyika cichlids actually prefer an even higher pH than the 8.0 you mentioned... from 8.4-9.2 or so. If you can increase the pH naturally with a mesh bag of crushed coral in the filter, great!

HTH

You may find the species fighting over territory. Both groups build colonies, and the two colonies would fight. I suggest a 20 long, and one species.

You'd probably be much better off with just one species in a tank. Although most of the shell-dwellers are small in size, they are tough little buggers and will defend their territories. Separate tanks will really show off the wonderful behaviour of shellies- which are my favorite type of cichlids.

If you've got the cash flow and space- set up two ten gallons and get a pair each of the multis and brevis. I'm not a huge fan of crushed coral as substrate in African tanks- sand is the way to go. Too many sharp edges in crushed coral- and the shellies spend most of the day "rearranging" the tank to suit their tastes. CaribSea makes a black/white mix called "Sahara Sand" that is the perfect color contrast for Rift Lake fish- not too light, not too dark. I usually have 1 1/2 - 2 inches of sand in my tanks.

The Aqua Clear would be a great filter to set the tank up with. Although I'm only using Milleniums now (awesome filters), I still think the ACs are great.

Good luck with your shellies! If you've never had them before- prepare to get hooked. :D

I do have a 20 gallon empty, so I guess I will put both pairs in the 20 gallon.

I want each pair to be male and female, what happen if I got male and male? Will they still get along?

I want to breed them, so how can you tell if they are male or female?
They are not hard to breed right?

Males will show aggression to each other... Happens in almost all cichlid spp. Do your research on sexing the species. If it's not possible, I'd go with a colony of them instead. This would be more fun, too.

Juvies cannot be identified by sex. Adults can only be identified because the males are usually a half inch larger (For multis). Brevis about the same.

I would reccomend getting more than just a pair
1. You dont accidently get male and male
2. Shelldwellers are harem breeders, w/ the top male breeding with all the other females.
The best way to get a colony, locate a breeder in your area, and try to get some babies/juviniles from them. By the way, i dont know if its happens w/ the shell dwellers, but by keeping two species together, isnt their a chance of some hybrids occuring in the tank?

I KNOW I've got male and female multis in my tank- and I still can't really tell who is who. :wink: Sexing them can be pretty iffy.

Fishstix brings up a great point and it's something I've wondered about myself. From what I've read, differing species of shell dwellers can possibly interbreed- which is a really bad thing. I'd go with separate tanks for the two species. :D

Multis are very easy to breed if you keep the water quality high and provide enough shells for everyone to be content.

The two I know from past research can interbreeds are multis and similis (spelling is off, but if you've been researching you know what I mean)

what happen if the multi and the brevis interbreed in the tank??

what kind of problem will I have??

Subaru said:
what happen if the multi and the brevis interbreed in the tank??

what kind of problem will I have??
First you will have a bunch of hybrids that probably wont breed, and most people wont want, and second you will be creating a less diversified fish, like waht happening to the endlers livebearers. So many people have bred them with gupies, it is hard to find a true strain of endlers.

Back
Top Bottom