Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Cichlid Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-09-2014, 04:06 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Dwarf Cichlid New Setup

I am currently setting up a 37 gallon, moderately planted, community tank that will have tetras, hatchetfish, corys, and some dwarf cichlids. I am most interested in apistogramma cacatuoides, apistogramma agassizii, or flag cichlids. I have one plastic driftwood decoration, will have a couple rocks, and plants. The decoration has two cave spots facing different directions. Would a pair or trio be better? Also, which species will be the most compatible in a community setup?
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1391976271.810756.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	231.7 KB
ID:	221669

Old 02-10-2014, 09:23 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Is a trio or pair of dwarf cichlids better?

Old 02-10-2014, 04:11 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Dwarf Cichlid New Setup

I would go with a pair 1 m and 1 f of the apistogramma cacatuoides a trio probably won't work as well since you will have the oddball female and the other 2 will pick on her.
Old 02-10-2014, 05:52 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Okay! Ive read that a pair is usually better for a community tank... Should I expect breeding? The conditions wont be dark water, no leaves at bottom... Just a fairly average tank with ph between 6-7.5, and amazon fish.
Old 02-10-2014, 05:55 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

It's possible they could breed but I don't think it will happen unless all conditions are right.
Old 02-10-2014, 06:02 PM   #6
Daphnia are People Too.
Community Moderator

POTM Champion

I have not kept those apistos, so I am not sure on that one.
As for a flag cichlid, do you mean Laetacara curviceps? Those little buggers are amazing. I fully recommend them as community compatible (based on my experience) and i would go with a pair instead of a trio.
So, one thing that was recommended to me by the breeder I got my curvies from is that actually like submerged glass jars to spawn in. I had better luck with mine liking that or else they just stake out plants and seem to be the biggest cave dwellers. You decoration might not be to their liking.
For any of those species, I recommend some plants in there for cover and water quality.
Old 02-10-2014, 06:28 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have a pair of apisto cac's in my 29 comm, they're great! Get along with everyone, as long as they have the caves they should be good.. I did have another female but they pair killed her one night..
Old 02-11-2014, 12:02 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

I have a corner i could put a small mason jar in, if they tend to be shy. Or is the point to put it in the center so you can see them inside it?
Old 02-11-2014, 05:41 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Apisto cacatuoides are known to be harem breeders. Agassizi are pair breeders, and I'm unsure of what a "flag" cichlid is, the species I know that sometimes goes by that is mesonauta festivus
Old 02-11-2014, 06:27 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

From everything i researched, it sounded like as long as there was a pair you were good. Mostly, im basing my choice off of what the LFS has... Unless they cant get me peppered corys, id rather support a place that actually quarantines their fish. Also, the flag cichlids im talking about also goes by smiling acara and its scientific name ends with curviceps. I read that they are best in sets of two trios though, which would mean a species tank with a small school of tetras. Ive also found two more species, feedback appreciated: rainbow cichlids (archocentrus multispinosa) and german blue rams(microgeophagus ramirezi). The rams are very appealing, they stay small so a harem would be okay, unless a pair is better. Id really like tips for rams, Im considering these.
Old 02-11-2014, 06:40 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Laetacara curviceps do fine in a pair, as well as dorsigera, a species often mislabeled as curviceps.

Rainbows can be a bit pushy, as many Central American species can be. They will also be larger than the others mentioned.

Mikrogeophagus ramirezi are often of poor stock (improper breeding) and do best in a well established tank. They don't do well in groups, a m/f pair is your best bet with them
Old 02-11-2014, 11:28 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

I did some research- it looks likethere has been a lot of breeding in asia that has kind of inbred the general rams, and they are injected with hormones sometimes. I will talk to the lfs about their supplier, this is my first go with cichlids and I don't wanna mess up. Now, is the general opinion for dwarf rams, cacatuoides, or the flag cichlids? Once i decide this, I'll move some stuff in my room and start setting up the tank. Hopefully within 4 months ill have my tank complete and running. Again, which kind of dwarf cichlid would be best in your opinion?
Old 02-11-2014, 11:46 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

The cacatuoides.
Old 02-12-2014, 01:35 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh7 View Post
The cacatuoides.
I agree- they are easier to keep and look incredible when in full color

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Aquarium Advice mobile app
Old 02-12-2014, 08:38 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak

Okay, thats what I'll go for. A pair of them should work out well.

Tags
cichlid, dwarf, dwarf cichlid, ich, new setup, setup

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com