Dwarf cichlid, Rams

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stevedocs

Aquarium Advice Activist
Evening all, looking for some advice regarding rams (All varieties) and what my options are for these. I've done all the research etc but looking for actual experiences. I have a 23 gallon tall, 6 cardinal tetras, 6 harlequin rasbora and 5 adolfi cories. What could I do? A pair of specific rams or a single male etc

Any input gratefully recieved

Thanks

I would only get one ram, and I would get a Bolivian Ram as they are much more hearty than German Blue Rams. Be careful, though, as sometimes rams bully cories. However, it's not a sure thing. Just keep your eyes peeled.

Just people experiences really with different types, favourites pairs etc. I checked aquadvisor and with 2 gbrs I'm at like 85% what does well, are my other fish compatable? Can I keep a single, which are good for beginners, just all experiences really

bud29 said:
I would only get one ram, and I would get a Bolivian Ram as they are much more hearty than German Blue Rams. Be careful, though, as sometimes rams bully cories. However, it's not a sure thing. Just keep your eyes peeled.

I have read that they are a good start, to they go by any other names. My lfs has regular rams, electric blue golden I think

I've had my Bolivian Ram since September, and he has been doing quite well. I picked up a German Gold Ram early last month, and it died after 3 days. After that experience, I will be sticking with bolivians for a while :lol:

I agree, Bolivian Rams are much hardier but still are sensitive to nitrates. Weekly 50% WC's will give good water quality and adding live plants will also help the ram to feel more secure.

If your tank is over 6 months old then your most likely to do better with German Blue Rams, Gold and Electric Blue Rams. Wild caught and GBR's bred in Asia are very weak and even in pristine water conditions they are prone to dying. Private breeders and places like Oddballfish.com who breed Rams from good genetically strong stock will provide people with the strongest, healthiest fish. Some say Gold and especially Electric Blue Rams are less hardy but I keep all three, from US bred stock, and have found them to be no different in hardiness than the US bred GBR's. However all Rams need pristine water low in nitrates to thrive.

Thanks for the info, I'm in the uk and maidenhead aquatics are my lfs, they get their rams from local breeders and really do look healthy in their tanks. I'll be looking to add a ram or rams after Christmas, my tank has been running 2 months and stocked for one. Never have I had readings of ammonia nitrites or nitrates since cycling :) and I change 30 litres about third per week. Love the colours of the rams and just want to make sure I give them the best chance

I've had several GBRs in the past, and I've lost 2 out of the 4 I've had. One was a gold, which I don't think ever actually ate anything. Another died of dropsy when the tank had a bought of ich, the third I still have (that little guy is a champ and a trooper! I named him after Arnold Schwarzenegger!) and got him a female to pair with when they mature, she is a long fin GBR. They are hit or miss, sometimes because the lfs gets them from weird places because they're so popular. I know mine rotates through providers, so unless I ask to be sure I never know where they come from. One thing I always look for is to be sure they have started accepting food before purchasing them, as that will up the odds of them thriving in your own aquarium.

Good luck!!! These guys are loads of fun, and I would recommend them to anyone with the time, dedication, and available knowledge. :)

I have a male bolivian in my 29 gallon community tank. He minds his own business and pays nobody any attention. Although I do think he is snacking on the ghost shrimp. I've never witnessed it but I don't have as many now. Other than that, keep your water clean and have fun!!

It might just be a huckleberry but I did a fish in cycle ( unknowingly I was misinformed by my lfs) and out of a tiger barb a guppy a Cory and a gbr only the gbr survived

Thanks for all the good advice, I look forward to adding one or a pair in the new year :)

Hi,

A 23 tall does not provide much space at the bottom of the tank. If you get a pair and they decide to breed, your cories will not be happy campers. I recommend one ram. If you were to go with a 20 long, you can safely do two rams.

From what I understand, the water in the UK is generally hard. Imported rams like soft water, but if they are locally bred, you should be okay.

David

Hi,

A 23 tall does not provide much space at the bottom of the tank. If you get a pair and they decide to breed, your cories will not be happy campers. I recommend one ram. If you were to go with a 20 long, you can safely do two rams.

From what I understand, the water in the UK is generally h

Think my iPhone went mad and didn't post my reply

Yeah I'm thinking one ram due to space and my adolfis,

Also I may add sim peat balls to the filter to lower ph, but only if I need too.

Don't think I've seen Bolivian rams around here just regular rams? Gold and electric blues

Steven

Rams have been bred alot in Europe and you guys have pretty good stock over there because of that. I really like the Gold rams alot, I keep 2 pairs, 1 pair is also a high fin pair and I think of all my now 14 Rams they are my favorite.

To be fair all the rams I've seen here in Wales have all looked good and feeding. Could I keep a single gold ram? I'm pretty sure they were only selling as pairs but I think I don't have the room in my 23 tall

To be fair all the rams I've seen here in Wales have all looked good and feeding. Could I keep a single gold ram? I'm pretty sure they were only selling as pairs but I think I don't have the room in my 23 tall

Alot of people say the Gold and Electric blue rams are too delicate but I think if they come from good in country stock they are no different than well bred rams. If you can get a gold I would. Plus if you don't put any bottom dwellers in the tank you could do a pair of rams. People keep ram pairs in 10-15g tanks for breeding full time and they have small foot prints. If the bottom is theirs I truely see no problem with it.

I have 5 adolfi cory which I love, they do make me laugh so a single gold ram I feel will be my choice for the new year

You could always fall into the hands of MTS....... (Multiple Tank Syndrome) and get a pair of the rams :) When I get my tank and it has been running for a while after the cycle, I am going to be ordering a pair (hopefully) of German Blue Rams from Gunpowder Aquatics - Tropical Fish Farm - Gunpowderfish.com for my 20 gal tank. That will be my second tank, after my two gal shrimp tank. Good luck, and keep us posted on what you decide!

Back
Top Bottom