Dwarf Cichlid Suggestions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

spenny

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I got a new tank (http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f15/55gal-start-up-209537.html) and am set on getting some SA dwarfs. I am not opposed to reg. SA cichlids, but would rather have more smaller, then less larger. I would like some suggestions as to what I should get specifically. The only requirements are some blue and some yellow rams. I know it says in the link that 4 swordtails and 1 rainbow shark will be added. That will not be the case if it doesn't work with the cichlids, as they take priority.
The tank is clean and just waiting to be put into action. That being said, I would also like some suggestions as to substrate.

I appreciate your help in advance!
Thanks
spenny

It all depends on you. Personally I like the look of sand so that's what I went with. In my 55 gal I used play sand from wal mart. I like it a lot. It's a bit fine but I can raise my intake on my filter so it's not a big deal. And in my 75 gal I used black diamond sand blasting sand and absolutely love it. It's a lot bigger than play sand so it don't stir up nearly as bad. If I had to choose one I would choose that black diamond.

Should be able to get 4 platies and a shark I would get 2 pairs of Bolivian rams or apistos or if you have them around get cockatoo cichlids(they are amazing) also I agree I love black moon sand but can be pricey I would go with pool filter sand

I was steered away from getting "Blue Rams" My research and advice from more experienced keepers explained to me that they can be difficult to keep. They can be very sensitive to water conditions. I alternatively went with three "Bolivian Rams" they are a little less ornate but, much more hardy. I have enjoyed them so far and am still learning about them. JMO

I agree that Bolivians are much more hardy than blue rams. It is next to impossible (IMO) these days to find blue rams at a pet store that will live for more than a few months (usually not even that long). They are mass-produced and inferior quality most of the time. If you want to attempt them, try to source a hobbyist breeder- this should increase your chances of success.

If you're interested in some other options, check out species from the genera Apistogramma, Laetacara, Dicrossus- there are many species of Apistogramma available in the hobby, and several Laetacara and Dicrossus available as well. Creithracara maronii, the keyhole cichlid, is not technically considered a dwarf cichlid but is compatible with them due to its peaceful temperament and relatively small adult size, so that might be an option as well.

Thanks for your responses everyone!
@severum mama, I was going to order some Blue Rams from a breeder. Seems to be pretty good with the quality he sells. I know of a good number of people that have ordered from him in past and have all been very happy. As for the other suggestions, I will take them into consideration!

I forgot Nannacara. I've only kept N anomala, but I believe there are other species available in the hobby if you know where to look. N anomala are fairly passive, and easy to keep and breed. They are much easier to keep than GBR. Basically, you will be able to breed them as long as they have a cave that they can claim as territory. The males are a quite a bit more colorful than Bolivian rams, and although the females look fairly drab when they are not in breeding dress, they show a really neat checkerboard pattern on their bodies when they are spawning and guarding fry.

Here is a (bad) photo of a pair I recently sent to an Aquabidder.
img_1964581_0_6183d329b96e0b515b414cc995efbde1.jpg

I am totally inlove with my pair of dicrossus filamentosus. They would go nicely with your rams since they also prefer a lower pH.

I have a pair of dicrossus maculatus (spade tailed checkerboard) and love them to death! So much personality! If you can get either the filamentosus or the maculatus, definitely go for it! Great cichlids! I totally agree with that last post!

Back
Top Bottom