Dwarf cichlid tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chenay83

Aquarium Advice Freak
I want to get an all dwarf cichlid tanl going. Anyone have any suggestions? I want a lot of color in my tank with differet kinds of cichlids. Which ones would be okay together? What would be a good size tank? Would they like plants?

DerekMartinez said:
Sorry to interupt but I've only heard of African and SA Cichlids. What are the New World?

If I remember correctly New world cichlids are fish that are found to far north to be considered CA cichlids. Like the Herichthys cyanoguttatus "Texas Cichlid" which is found in the US and parts of Northern Mexico.

Anyway let's bring this thread back on topic please.

If I remember correctly New world cichlids are fish that are found to far north to be considered CA cichlids. Like the Herichthys cyanoguttatus "Texas Cichlid" which is found in the US and parts of Northern Mexico.

Anyway let's bring this thread back on topic please.

Appreciate it.

Yellow labs are great, not too aggressive but able to take care of themselves. Demasoni are awesome, but evil. The basic recommendation is that you keep a minimum of 12 demasoni in a tank to distribute the aggression, and that in order to arrive at 12, you start with about 20 to account for rejected (or killed) fish. Not really recommended for someone new to cichlids. Red Zebras can be fairly nasty as well, but not as bad as the demasoni. Red zebras don't go well with yellow labs because they will crossbreed.

Rusty cichlids are cool and I would place them in the same category as the labs. Socolofi are a decent choice and they are a nice powder blue. Yellow tail acei are pretty easy and peaceful and will swim near the top more than most other cichlids.

It is important to note that all of these mentioned are monomorphic, meaning the males and females have the same color. Some species are dimorphic so that is some thing to keep in mind so you don't impulse buy some juveniles only to discover that when they grow up the female is brown and fugly. Another good choice, one that is dimorphic, would be P. Saulosi. The males have black and blue vertical bars and the females are bright yellow.

With cichlids it is important to keep the tank's footprint in mind as well as the volume. They tend to need a longer rather then taller tank so that they can establish their territory and escape and hide when being chased. (and they WILL be chased) While a 36" long tank will work for certain species I would recommend a minimum of 48" long tank. 55 gallon is good, 75 gallon is great for dwarfs.

Most of your dwarfs are gonna need a lot of rocks to hide in. Plants not really a great idea as they will be dug up and/or eaten.

All the cichlids named here are great, but not dwarfs like the OP requested.

Dwarfs would include rams, apistos, kribs etc. So, please stay on the topic of dwarf cichlids as per the OPs post.

New World fish are from North, Central, and South America. As DragonFish71 stated, none of the fish mentioned are dwarfs. There are a number of West African cichlids that would be dwarfs such as kribs. From the Americas come quite a few, such a Laetacara species, Nanacara, Apistos, and rams.
generally, when dwarf tanks are set up, the tanks are relatively small, such as a 20 long, and only one or two species kept. Even though they are small they are still cichlids.
Generally speaking, dwarfs will do better in a tank with darker substrate, lots of cover, and plants are ok. As well, floating plants will generally offer a sense of security for them.

All the cichlids named here are great, but not dwarfs like the OP requested.

Dwarfs would include rams, apistos, kribs etc. So, please stay on the topic of dwarf cichlids as per the OPs post.

While I agree that they are borderline in size and behavior, in my opinion they should be considered in a discussion of dwarfs.

Also, since there really isn't any specific, agreed upon definition for what is or is not a dwarf cichlid, and the OP appears to be new to cichlids, it is possible that what they are referring to are not really dwarfs as YOU are defining them.

Fish Whisperer said:
While I agree that they are borderline in size and behavior, in my opinion they should be considered in a discussion of dwarfs.

Also, since there really isn't any specific, agreed upon definition for what is or is not a dwarf cichlid, and the OP appears to be new to cichlids, it is possible that what they are referring to are not really dwarfs as YOU are defining them.

Rams, kribs, and apistos are some dwarfs... That isn't wrong

I guess I kind of left that question a little too open. Those were great responses though. I'm not completely new to to cichlids I have a tank of Bolivians and a tank of Convicts. I was trying to get a tank of 4 or 5 different kinds cichlids that were less than 4 inches that have the same water needs and can live together. And I need an idea of what size tank I should get.

A good bunch of suggestions for sure..I have had no issues with my labs, zebras and dems. But they are all the same size and have grown up together in a 75 gal tank with lots of rocks. So far no issues but the fish arent that old yet. Thats the thing with Africans tho. They are mean...But follow the rules and you can minimize aggression, It will never be peace. Think of it like the middle east. Always fighting just try to keep all out war from happening. Good luck!!!

I used to have a dwarf cichlid tank made up of 4 long fin gbr 2 albino kribensis 4 cockatoo cichlids (my favorite) a cpl brichardi even a male Betta an 2 females I also had around 40 fancy guppies and over 100 cardinal and neon tetras they all did great and were very entertaining lol good luck and enjoy

Most people consider dwarfs to be under 4 inches and to have mild aggression. Most of what was suggested has an estimated growth of 5 or more inches and are more aggressive than those considered "dwarf".

Granted, there is no specific given for dwarf, but as I stated, when dwarf cichlids are mentioned, the names that generally pop up are apistos, rams, kribs, sometimes keyholes etc. All smaller species and milder attitudes.

Dwarf to me are rams, kribs, keyholes, cockatoo, agassizi. There are more but all under 4 inches. Love their caves flower pots work well. I had rams and kribs in my tank but removed my rams when the kribs started to breed

Hey thanks! That help a lot. Now I need to figure out what tank size I need. I thinking maybe 15-20 fish. What size should I get? I want it large but I also don't want to over do it.

Chenay83 said:
Hey thanks! That help a lot. Now I need to figure out what tank size I need. I thinking maybe 15-20 fish. What size should I get? I want it large but I also don't want to over do it.

It depends on what type of fish you are getting. You are not going to be able to add a whole bunch of dwarf cichlids that all want an area of the bottom of the tank.

My recommendation would be a 55-75 gallon tank with Dwarf Mbuna (4" and under) like labs, Afras , saulosi there are others just can't think off the top of my head. Make sure there are plenty of caves and stock in a 1 males to 4 female ratio.

Kribensis or Apistogramma Caca (cockatoo cichlids) are the best to keep for a "beginner" of dwarfs IMO.

Back
Top Bottom