Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Cichlid Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-04-2004, 10:18 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to shawmutt
"Dwarf" Cichlids?

I've had the yellow labs (Labidochromis caeruleus) for about 5 months, and the kenyis (Pseudotropheus lombardoi)for a little less. One of the blue kenyis turned yellow, which is what happens when they get sexually mature. So far so good. But they don't seem to be growing. The smallest one is about 2 1/2 inches and the biggest one is about 3 inches. Maybe it's just me, or maybe because I see them every day I don't notice the growth. Anyone have any idea what the growth rate and/or life span of either species is?

Old 02-04-2004, 10:20 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to krap101
i dont know much about cichlids but are labs and kenyis cichlids?

Old 02-04-2004, 10:32 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to shawmutt
Quote:
Originally Posted by krap101
i dont know much about cichlids but are labs and kenyis cichlids?
Yes, they are lake malawi mbuna cichlids
Old 02-05-2004, 08:57 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

What size tank are you keeping them in? Many cichlids release an "anti growth" hormone in a tank to keep them from getting too big in an environment. I hope I'm eplaining this right. I had a yellow lab in a small tank for a while and he stopped growing but once he was in a larger tank he got way bigger.

As for size my yellow lab Nemo is about 4 inches long. I don't know about Keynii they are always so tiny and cute at my lfs. My mol. gen. prof has had a cichlid for 5 years and he's still going strong.

Go BUCKEYES !!!
screaminbuckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2004, 10:00 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to deli_conker
How big were the labs when you got them?

I have 2 yellow labs (about 3 months). Both are males (pretty sure).
Thier growth rates have been somewhat different. They started out at about 1.5" each. The more dominant of the 2 is growing way faster than the other one. This is also true of my johanni's. The first one is now around 2.25" and the other has only grown about a quarter inch.

I know that this doesn't answer your question, but I hope the information in general helps...

Tags
cichlid, cichlids, dwarf, ich

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com