Dwarf Cichlids

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

StripedBandit

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi all, I have an established 29g tank, currently housing a rainbow shark and two botia striata. I am looking into getting some type of dwarf cichlid, probably a pair of bolivian rams or some type of apistos. What would be a good species to add along with them, in terms of small, schooling fish? I was looking in to Cardinal Tetras, would they work?

You are probably fully stocked with territorial fish in there, the rainbow shark should be in a bigger tank really. I would imagine cardinals would be ok though. And then maybe some good sized Hatchets for the top.

Yeah I always catch trouble when I tell people I have a Rainbow Shark in there. But I've had him for 8 years, and he's been in the 29g for 6 years. He seems to be doing just fine.

And I went and picked up 4 Bolivian Rams earlier. I guess once a pair forms I'll give the other two to my lfs.

Bolivian Rams are a little hard to sex. You might have chaos in there soon, as rams pick on each other quite badly in my experience. They are nice fish though, i have 2 in one tank and one in another. Just keep a close eye on it all, if you see any fish getting beaten up badly, take them back, if you get a happy medium in there good for you.

Yes they are beautiful. I'm planning on keeping a close eye on them to make sure none fight. And if/when they do, I'll make adjustments.

I did a bit of research on how to sex them, and I came up with the black stripe seems to extend more onto the dorsal fin for males, and their tail fins extend a bit more than females. If this is the case, one of them is definitely a male. I can't really tell for the others though. But I have noticed since I put them in that the definite male is staying off by himself, and the other three are sticking close by each other.

Back
Top Bottom