Dwarf Cichlids!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
MY RAMS LAID EGGS!!!!

I had a pair of rams, that i didnt know were even a pair! They were never glued to eachother, they didnt rub buddies, they didnt shimmy shake, they didnt do any of that. The only thing I noticed was the females belly getting deep red and bigger. Also they both chased the extra female a lot.

I look in my tank and can't find them. I look behind the tank and they're back behind the tank with a bunch of eggs!

MY RAMS LAID EGGS!!!!

I had a pair of rams, that i didnt know were even a pair! They were never glued to eachother, they didnt rub buddies, they didnt shimmy shake, they didnt do any of that. The only thing I noticed was the females belly getting deep red and bigger. Also they both chased the extra female a lot.

I look in my tank and can't find them. I look behind the tank and they're back behind the tank with a bunch of eggs!

I've never have seen any actually breeding behavior except my pairs tend to stick together. Then one day EGGS!

I've never have seen any actually breeding behavior except my pairs tend to stick together. Then one day EGGS!

I was getting worried this morning that my female was Internally bleeding. I mean her belly was BLOOD RED.

Also I've had these fish together for close to 8 months now... They finally decided to breed.

MY RAMS LAID EGGS!!!!

Congrats!!!

None of that sounds unusual, what else is in the tank?

5 stunted rosy barbs (about 3". Rescue mission).
1 angelfish (quarter size).

The only thing that bugs me is they're coloring. They never really colored up like everyone's pictures. They look exactly like your new ones. Colorful in the fins, but the body is just whitish-tan. No super bright blue sheen.

They're happy enough to breed though? Nitrates never get above 20 and my pH is 7.2.

5 stunted rosy barbs (about 3". Rescue mission).
1 angelfish (quarter size).

The only thing that bugs me is they're coloring. They never really colored up like everyone's pictures. They look exactly like your new ones. Colorful in the fins, but the body is just whitish-tan. No super bright blue sheen.

They're happy enough to breed though? Nitrates never get above 20 and my pH is 7.2.

Alright just watch for the aggression increase, and don't be surprised if they eat them. Lots of misinformation on rams. The only true sign is the female belly.

Do you have any idea why they aren't colored up? They male is a F2 and the female is a WC fish. So they have very typical black spots and fins.

That's just at the right angel, haven't you ever seen them turn and you got a shine of blue? That's when that picture was taken. Or it's injected with hormones

Normal coloration is what you and I have. Females will get the red belly, adult males face will darken up a bit and the blue sheen gets a little note intense but that's all.

Last edited:
Good news, I'm pretty sure that my panduro are getting ready to spawn! Female is protecting a cave like area against the evil bloodfins. The male is fighting the diabolical public enemy (his reflection) I noticed him swimming all over flaring his gills and biting the glass. Hopefully I will see some eggs soon. Oh I got pics too!

Can you spot her?
image-1961895742.jpg

Nice shot of the male
image-3961365486.jpg

Gill flare
image-2242992916.jpg

Biting the public enemy
image-1519428059.jpg

Giving him the state down
image-1863641017.jpg

Another nice shot
image-885900596.jpg

Oh and baenschi is coloring up...
Picture kinda sucks, the light in the fluval is very spotlight so the camera doesn't focus well.

image-2067827381.jpg

I've got a question. I'm gunna set a 20 long up. Would it be possible to have a group of all females in the tank? Or would they become violent with each other when they are mature?

Good news, I'm pretty sure that my panduro are getting ready to spawn! Female is protecting a cave like area against the evil bloodfins. The male is fighting the diabolical public enemy (his reflection) I noticed him swimming all over flaring his gills and biting the glass. Hopefully I will see some eggs soon. Oh I got pics too!

Can you spot her?

Nice shot of the male

Gill flare

Biting the public enemy

Giving him the state down

Another nice shot

Oh and baenschi is coloring up...
Picture kinda sucks, the light in the fluval is very spotlight so the camera doesn't focus well.

Where did you get them? They are pretty

Back
Top Bottom