Dwarf Cichlids!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
A pair is doable in a 10. Keep up with water changes and you should be good

I also advocate some floating plants like water sprite to suck up all the nitrogen waste that accumulates in smaller tanks. I have a 5 gallon chi that is very clean due to a nice ball of water sprite and some Anubias. I have one 5 watt LED overhead with a concentrated lens and the plants are doing well nice and green.

Hey guys you might remember when I posted about the pair of Cacautoids I got? Probs not.
Anyway, the male is really struggling and is just lying on his side on the bottom, can't swim around even though he tries. Any help would be awesome... I started a thread in the Unhealthy section already but thought I would get more responders here.

29 Gallon Long
Amm=0
Nit=0
Nat=5-10

That's ok guys...he didn't make it through the night...all I found was his spine on the sand.

Is duck weed good? My lfs has tones... Camt find water sprite near me

Any floating plants are beneficial. Duckweed is easy to maintain so yes it's a good choice requires pretty much no maintenance just some light

Hey guys you might remember when I posted about the pair of Cacautoids I got? Probs not. Anyway, the male is really struggling and is just lying on his side on the bottom, can't swim around even though he tries. Any help would be awesome... I started a thread in the Unhealthy section already but thought I would get more responders here. 29 Gallon Long Amm=0 Nit=0 Nat=5-10

What's your ph? Water temp? How did you acclimate?

My PH is 7.5-7.8

My temp is higher right now bcuz I'm treating for ich, but he never showed any symptoms

He's been in the tank for a month now so I don't acclimation was the issue

Apistos don't do well with salt or high temperatures. also ich infects the gills long before it shows on the scales. It could be either. I'm guessing heat and salt.

I wasn't adding any salt, I am treating with jut heat. Anyways I'm not sure if it was ich because the night before he died he was having trouble staying upright as if there was a swim bladder issue, but that wouldn't prove fatal so quickly would it?
Thanks for responding so quickly!

I wasn't adding any salt, I am treating with jut heat. Anyways I'm not sure if it was ich because the night before he died he was having trouble staying upright as if there was a swim bladder issue, but that wouldn't prove fatal so quickly would it?
Thanks for responding so quickly!

On second thought: does this species have a minimum amount of time the tank has been set up before adding them? Like I have always found that people suggest having a mature tank before adding GBRs? I never saw this for these guys but could that be a possibility? I added them after the tank had been cycles for 1.5 months.

No fish has a minimum tank time, it just makes it easier since your bio filter will be more mature. What were your tank temps? And I have never heard someone treat with just heat I'm pretty sure you need both.

Tank temp is around 87-89 F.

There's a fair bit of info online about solely using heat and it was advised to me on this site because of I have some less salt tolerant fish.

I don't know but the female appears totally fine through this all.

Back
Top Bottom