Dwarf Mbuna (Pseudotropheus Saulosi) Stock Help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

t57spikes

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a 35 Gallon tank (40x10x20 in.) (LWH) with an AQ 70 filter, 0 Ammonia and nitrite, Nitrate 5 PPM. I want to stock Dwarf African Cichlids, Pseudotropheus Saulosi to be exact. Would a stock of 2 Males to 6 Females be sufficient to curb aggression, along with 10 Zebra Danios used as Dither fish? It will also have a large amount of Texas Holey Rock for hiding places/caves.

First off, the zebra danios are pointless. They will be eaten and can cause malawi bloat in mbuna due to the higher protein content (not in the natural diet for mbuna typically). Either fish are used to bring shy fish out of hiding. The concept is that the shy fish sees schoolers (aka prey fish for most predators) out in the open, so it must be safe. Dithers aren't used to curb aggression. Target fish can be used for that, to keep one fish from beating another fish. These are used more so in more aggressive tanks or breeding tanks to keep the male/female from beating it's mate.

Ok next, Saluosi may be a dwarf species, but their conspecific aggression is typically pretty high. I don't hear of them working out well long term in a 3' tank very often, I believe AndrewMcfadden on here is one of the few I've heard from that have had it work. So I would look more into that if I were you. Playing with mbuna in a tight space is like playing with fire typically. Sometimes you can contain the aggression/territorialism, other times you'll end up with a single individual.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I've had multiple generations of saulosi in three foot tanks for years, with some even having 3-4 males to 10-12 females. Have you actually had these fish or just regurgitating information overheard elsewhere?

I was saying from what I've heard from a few others on here (I believe Severum mama was one of them). This is why I didn't say that it wouldn't work, and just what I've heard. My apologies.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

There is no need to apologize. There is simply far to many people giving advice based on stuff they're read or overheard at band camp.

One time... at band camp... I heard that zebra danios were obnoxious...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom