Easy feeder fish to breed for Jag

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JRT83

Aquarium Advice Activist
Since I've decided to keep my 7" male jag in his 125 by himself, I'm thinking of trying to breed something that I can use as feeders but won't be too time consuming for me. I've done some research and wouldn't mind getting a pair of convicts but it seems like I may end up getting more feeders out of them than I'd like and don't want the tank overrun with babies. Are there any schooling fish that breed fairly easily and don't require a lot of extra care? Preferably central american fish, only because I'd like to feed him something that he would actually see/eat in his natural habitat. Any ideas/suggestions? The tank used for the feeders would be an empty 55.

Swordtails? You can call the wild types from central America... Not exactly schooling, but you could have a trio or two, and sell the extras.

I would just stick to the convicts, if your happens to get overstocked with babies then you can donate them to your lfs, thats what I did.

I would just stick to the convicts, if your happens to get overstocked with babies then you can donate them to your lfs, thats what I did.

How often were your convicts having babies? And can they stay in the tank with the parents or do u gotta remove them at some point?

My convict pair had babies every 4-5 weeks, and if there is enough hiding spots in the tank then you can keep them in there but if not I would just move them to a 10 or 20 gallon tank, depending on how many fry there are.

Back
Top Bottom