Educational Cichlids for a 45 (New Pics)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JDogg

Aquarium Advice Addict
i just picked up a used 45 gal for $5, no leaks detected, a little hard-water deposits at the top, but all in all a good find i think.

going to put it in my classroom, thinking of african cichlids, any suggestions on ones that are best suited for a 45???

i have never kept africans, but have been looking for the excuse to start an african tank for a few months now :D

tia!

kribs are cool....

i was thinking more along the lines of rift lake cichlids.... like peacocks or yellow labs

oh added info....

this tank will also be home to an adult african clawed from (7" tip to tip) and a 6" pleco....

i will be setting up this tank as part of an Aquatic Ecology class, and fish-less cycling the long way (with ammonia and no added bacteria from my established tank)

...well that is not entirely true...it is only a 6 week class so if the tank has not cycled by week 5 i will secretly jump start it will some filter medium so we can hopefully get fish in before the end of the class. (only if it is safe for the fish of course)

nothing like getting students to learn and get an interest in aquariums AND getting them to test my water every day!

The size is a bit limiting, but you could go with a few peacocks, or perhaps a smallish group of the more peaceful mbuna (acei, yellow labs, and perlmutts come to mind).

Forget cycling without fish! If you really want a good lesson, instantly cycle the 45 and bring in a 10 gal, cycle with ammonia and show the difference. That way, you will actually get to the fish this year and you can chart the progress of the different tanks. My current favorite cichlid is Labeotropheus fuelleborni. They are peaceful and display different eating habits. Mbuna in general are algae eaters and the Labeotropheus fuelleborni are especially well adapted. I have two in with mutt zebras and assorted Mbuna. One day, I would like to have a tank dedicated to them.

Menagerie said:
Forget cycling without fish! If you really want a good lesson, instantly cycle the 45 and bring in a 10 gal, cycle with ammonia and show the difference. That way, you will actually get to the fish this year and you can chart the progress of the different tanks.
that thought never occured to me :? good idea though that way I do not have to wait of fill that tank and get the fish too! :twisted: :D

great suggestions so far everyone, thank a lot!

i will have to write down the ones i like from the pics and start visiting the lfs and pet shops...

will keep you all posted on what i decide on

EDIT:...

As far a a tank Design i am thinking of making 3 caves made of PVC pipe and covered with lava rock(siliconed on ofcourse) and java mosse...anythoughts on this?

i will have to write down the ones i like from the pics and start visiting the lfs and pet shops...
It may be easier to write down what you can find locally and then look on-line at their requirements.
As far a a tank Design i am thinking of making 3 caves made of PVC pipe and covered with lava rock(siliconed on ofcourse) and java mosse...anythoughts on this?
Sounds good, some really nice ones have been made--search the DIY forum if you need ideas :D

actually upon further research i think i will go even more biotopic...

something along the lines of this...
11355a.jpg

11355b.jpg

still thinking of a java moss to make it look more natural, my current lighting will only give me 0.66 wpg has anyone grown java moss at this low light?

The pic's aren't showing, it would be better to post a link to the page/s they're on.
As for java moss, it should have at least 1 watt/gallon, and most species of mbuna will eat it. It may be aesthetically pleasing in an aquarium, but hardly accurate for a rift lake biotype tank.
Java fern would hold up better, I don't know of any fish that will eat it

I don't know of any fish that will eat it
But they will uproot it. There are pics of my 80 gal Mbuna tank in my gallery. No plants--all lace rock. It's a bare looking tank, but it's pretty natural (needs more algae growth) and the colors of the fish pop against the rock.
I don't see any pics of a full tank from the link given, only the same "cichlid-forum.com" pics from above. I like the information given on mongabay for BIOTOPE AQUARIA.

well i hope to have pictures soon, but my tank is stocked as follows...

-2 Red Empress Cichlids: Protomelas taeniolatus
-2 Yellow Labs: Labidochromis caeruleus
-1 Albino African Clawed Frog: Xenopus laevis

well here is a pic of the tank... there are fish in here i promise :oops:

had to remove the frog though, she was trying to eat my fish :twisted: they are still young (about an inch long), about the size of the goldfish she eats...

Looks good but I'd throw a few more caves in there if you can because as they get older they are going to get more territorial and they will need their own cave or place to dominate. Otherwise they will start to get really aggressive and stressed out. Sweet deal on the tank BTW!

ntswift said:
Looks good but I'd throw a few more caves in there if you can because as they get older they are going to get more territorial and they will need their own cave or place to dominate. Otherwise they will start to get really aggressive and stressed out. Sweet deal on the tank BTW!
there are alot of small caves, other then the black pvc pipe, i have more rocks and pipe to upgrade as they grow though...

there are alot of small caves, other then the black pvc pipe, i have more rocks and pipe to upgrade as they grow though...

Cool! Sounds like you're ready for them then.

i would say add all the rock in now. if u are done stocking fish then just fill up the tank and give them all a chance to claim territories. the more rock the better. u can get a very cheap double light fixture from any hardware store that should give u the desired light for low light plants and then u could incorporate plants into the habitat and show what happens. if they get up rooted u could use that for a lesson. also try to get a male and 2 female labs. u may be lucky enough to get a spawn during the class. the labs breed very easily if the water is good. cant wait for updated pics :)

i added another female lab friday as well as an upside-down catfish.

will add some more rocks on monday (need to boil them up and bring them from home)

Back
Top Bottom