eel with african cichlids?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Heck yeah my friend.I'm thinking about getting a few, maybe 3.I'll get them just a bit larger than my biggest cichlid. We'll see!

I'm waiting to hear from my local FW store. She has a lady who has a couple Bichir's that she wanted to get rid of that were big enough to re-introduce a new one back with my JD.

I swear man...fish have emotions! This morning after I found the Bichir dead from choking, the JD has been super super scared all day. She has been hiding and honestly just looking very upset. I think she misses him! They would always just sit around together, and she would follow him because he was such a good hunter, and help her find food on the bottom if any of it fell. :p

Sharkbait54 said:
I heard tiger barbs are good cichlid companions cause they can take the aggression better than other Fish.

I read that but then I also read that TB's can get nippy. So you'd have to watch them and make sure they don't nip the fins of your Africans. Again just ONE article I read but yes... Most articles online suggest TB's or GD's as good dither fish. This is all new to me but I'm learning fast. I have 6 GD's now so I mine as well stick with them. There very fast and I'm not sure TB's would work with GD's, I may be starting a whole other issue there.

Ya if you have gd just stay with them. You shouldn't have a problem since they are praised for their speed!! Good luck bud.

Hahah thanks i found him wedged between 2 rocks the other day and i totally thought he was dead! Lifted up the rock and he swam off... Thank god

Love my peacock eel he lives with my discus in one of my planted tanks he's going on 7 years old give or take a few months. He comes out every night at 9 for his dinner he'll stand straight up and wait for his worms it's pretty cool!:) He is well behaved and doesn't bother a soul great fish!

Nu-Nu the eel said:
Haha ya mine is awesome! How big is yours???! 7 years is insane!!

He's full grown 10 inches crazy thing is I still have my receipt from the day I bought him and I have three kuhli loaches approaching 8 years soon as well. They all live together in a big piece of driftwood I drilled out years ago for them to live in covered in moss and anubias.

Discusapisto said:
He's full grown 10 inches crazy thing is I still have my receipt from the day I bought him and I have three kuhli loaches approaching 8 years soon as well. They all live together in a big piece of driftwood I drilled out years ago for them to live in covered in moss and anubias.

I love that idea! What size tank??

UPDATE!!

Don't know how many are following my other thread about my tank and the aggression issues I'm having but... I have now lost the other eel :(

So that's 2 fish and 2 eels :(

In the other thread we seem to have a handle on what's going on. There were two types of Cichlid's that are very very aggressive and have been taunting my other fish and the eels. I put in 8 dither fish. Giant danios, but that was after the murder of 1 fish and a eel. Then I lost another fish and just a little while ago found the smaller eel by the heater dead.

This tank should be on the animal planter for deadliest fish tank!! The only thing they have let leave so far is the red tailed shark and my catfish are ok. The danios are just to quick so there ok.

Convict2161 said:
UPDATE!!

Don't know how many are following my other thread about my tank and the aggression issues I'm having but... I have now lost the other eel :(

So that's 2 fish and 2 eels :(

In the other thread we seem to have a handle on what's going on. There were two types of Cichlid's that are very very aggressive and have been taunting my other fish and the eels. I put in 8 dither fish. Giant danios, but that was after the murder of 1 fish and a eel. Then I lost another fish and just a little while ago found the smaller eel by the heater dead.

This tank should be on the animal planter for deadliest fish tank!! The only thing they have let leave so far is the red tailed shark and my catfish are ok. The danios are just to quick so there ok.

Bummer!

Back
Top Bottom