eel with african cichlids?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Convict2161

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have a guy at a LFS who's telling me I can put a spiny eel with my Africans. He says there in his African tank now. Your thoughts?

Convict2161 said:
I have a guy at a LFS who's telling me I can put a spiny eel with my Africans. He says there in his African tank now. Your thoughts?

I would think that it works? What exact type of spiny eel is it?

Nu-Nu the eel said:
I would think that it works? What exact type of spiny eel is it?

I'm calling now to find out the exact name.

Called a zig zag spiney eel. Scientific name. Mastacembelis circumcintus. Brown markings.

Last edited:
Bully405Customz said:
I had a peacock with my Africans for a while but found it hard to get them any food.

Really, that worked? Hm, i wouldnt think so since peacocks are pretty small. But then again, mine never pays attention to anything. He will run right into fish!

Yeah and my fish never messed with it but the eels are much more enjoyable in their own tank or a sparcely populated one. Mine were so shy they just hid all the time when I had fish in there with them.

If you can get food to them they should be fine.I thought about this for a while but decided against in the end as the cichlids eat every morsal before it hits the bottom and I didnt want the eel to go hungry.

garfy said:
If you can get food to them they should be fine.I thought about this for a while but decided against in the end as the cichlids eat every morsal before it hits the bottom and I didnt want the eel to go hungry.

This is very true. Nothing hits the bottom when I feed it's crazy! I may give it a shot. There pretty eels. Would look good in the tank.

I agree they look great just worry about the food issue.
Perhaps you could use a tube to direct sinking food straight to the eel whilst distracting the others with their own food.

garfy said:
I agree they look great just worry about the food issue.
Perhaps you could use a tube to direct sinking food straight to the eel whilst distracting the others with their own food.

I would be willing to try that. I might pull the trigger on this.

I have a fire eel with my cichlids and he does fine I feed him blood worms he comes to the top of the tank grabs a cube of blood worms then goes in to his cave

They get 14" max in size. The research I did says the hardest thing is feeding them. And they shouldn't be kept with anything smaller then 3".

I'm gonna do it!

Convict2161 said:
They get 14" max in size. The research I did says the hardest thing is feeding them. And they shouldn't be kept with anything smaller then 3".

I'm gonna do it!

Wait your getting a pecock eel or a fire eel?

Convict2161 said:

I'm gonna do it!

Do it! Hopefully you get a social guy, so you could just open the lid and he will come up to the surface. Thats what mine does, and From there on it is cake getting him to eat. Just let the eel get a good hold on the blood worm cube.

If he isnt social, just put your hand in the tank and try to hand feed him/ chuck worms a him lol. Hopefully plan A works though, seeing how vicious your chiclids are, i wouldnt want to put any part of my hand in there lol. (saw your pic of your cut) hahah

Back
Top Bottom