eels and natives/ SA cichlids

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DeFeKt

Aquarium Advice Addict
hey guys, just wondering about ur opinions on keeping a 30cm long finned eel in with my 20cm oscars and 16cm native barramundi..
the eel is native to papua new guinea and the northern end of australia, but can be found as low as tasmania. and as far east as new zealand where it goes to breed once and die. they can survive for 48 hours out of water, and are somewhat brackish, as it is male in saltwater and female in fresh, or vice versa.
they are a carnivore like my SA's but mainly live off bugs and roaches.
I won't be feeding any live fish, just kangaroo meat, which I feed my cichlids, and I doubt it will eat the pellets.

Is this an ok combination? also, would they be one of these "escape artists" meaning I should tighten security on my tank lids and remove any escape holes?

Thanx ...
Matt.

its 120 gallon atm.. upgrading soon.
I do keep my fish in slightly brackish water. as my barra's are brackish, and the oscars don't seem to mind.

Marine Rock Salt, yes
Haven't checked the levels for a while.
that's not the issue though.

Is this an ok combination? also, would they be one of these "escape artists" meaning I should tighten security on my tank lids and remove any escape holes?

I'm more worried about the eel trying to swallow a barra or the other way around.

Any answers to my original question would be appreciated...

I would assume that at least one of your fish are an escape artist.. Ive seen fish do this and were not considered escape artists.. tightening down your security measures would defiantly be prudent. :mrgreen:
Eels and fish related to them are likely to escape if they have opprotunity.. IME

I have little information on the barra and the "long finned eel".. so Im not sure if one will be likely to harm the other..

Back
Top Bottom