Egg Crate in Cichlid tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dwhit13

Aquarium Advice Activist
I am a little confused. Tomorrow I am setting up the new bigger tank (120) and it has been suggested to me I use egg crate under the substrate to protect the glass from the weight of the rock. Is this a plastic grid or are we talking a foam insert like for a mattress pad? Anyone have any experience using this? I want to set this up absolutely right from the get go.

I used the plastic lighting grid I bought at Home Depot. I have play sand substrate and a massive amount of large rock hard scape. The grid helps even out the weight of the hard scape as my Africans dig the sand

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

Lay out your hardscape on top of the eggcrate/light diffuser then add the sand. That way even if your cichlids dig there's little to no way the rocks can fall over.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Thanks , I'm going to go pick up some here in a few minutes. Does this make it any harder or require anything special when cleaning the substrate floor?

YOU CAN ALSO TYE THE rocks to the egg crate with fishing line or wire zips to stop the from moving , falling

Thanks , I'm going to go pick up some here in a few minutes. Does this make it any harder or require anything special when cleaning the substrate floor?

No, ideally you want about 1/2-1" of sand above the egg crate so your only cleaning the sand and so nothing gets trapped down there.

YOU CAN ALSO TYE THE rocks to the egg crate with fishing line or wire zips to stop the from moving , falling

If the rocks are stacked well there's no need for that.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

anubus likes getting tyed to rocks above the sand
u could also use an under gravel filter instead of the egg crate

Yeah I have an undergravel filter at home and thought of using it, but it did seem like it wouldnt be much in the way of support. I only have a few really heavy rocks and then a few more moderatly weight rocks. the rest is going to be cichlid stones and caves wich are actually very light. Id love to do a few plants in there but I know the Mbuna are likely to eat them as well as dig them up

Use the egg crate light diffuser. I know what its like to have the bottom of a 75 crack.....Its not fun.

Not sure what you are using to cut it to size but be careful it might splinter a little. I used tin snips but would recommend a hack saw or band saw if you have one.

actually the piece i bought is exactly 46 inches long (tank is 48 and 22 inches wide tank is 24. so I think ill be able to just lay it in there

Back
Top Bottom