Egg spots on fins?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MikeWidd

Aquarium Advice Activist
This may have been covered. Is it safe to say the fish with egg spots on their fin's are males? Or is there no truth to that. I thought the reason they were there was to confuse the female.

No egg spots are not a reliable method to sexing, there are plenty of females with them as well. Venting is the only full proof method unless of course you see a mouthful of eggs.

Ok I was just wondering. I'm going to break the tank down to put it in the wall, maybe I will try to vent then.

HUKIT said:
No egg spots are not a reliable method to sexing, there are plenty of females with them as well. Venting is the only full proof method unless of course you see a mouthful of eggs.

Ive always seen it as males generally have more spots than females. Doesnt totally mean that statment is set in stone but its easy to say most males have more spots than females but venting is not a bad idea if you really want to know

Jacobsal91 said:
Ive always seen it as males generally have more spots than females. Doesnt totally mean that statment is set in stone but its easy to say most males have more spots than females but venting is not a bad idea if you really want to know

Venting is the only way as Hukit stated. I have a male and female Crabro that the female has more and bigger egg spots then the male.

Is venting the same for all species?

Once I start removing the rock they will be easier to catch and check.

MikeWidd said:
Is venting the same for all species?

Once I start removing the rock they will be easier to catch and check.

Yeah should be, one small, one larger for females

Back
Top Bottom