Eheim 2217 Spraybar Location

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

brandonv26

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a 55 gallon mbuna cichlid tank I am working on getting up and running. I am wondering if I should put my spray bar across the back of the tank and have it spray toward the front of cut it down a bit shorter and put it on one end of the tank and let it spray across to the other side of the tank. Any advice?

I prefer to put the spray on the left or right side of the tank so that there is a long current going along the length of the tank.

I have the same filter. I have my spray bar on the left side of the tank out put spraying across the length and my input on the right side back wall .. Hope that helps :)

Ok so that's 2 peeps saying they put the discharge at the end of there tank. I figured this would be the case but wanted to avoid having to cut my Spraybar if I could.

Mbunas should have plenty of rockwork, so waste gets trapped often, so having your flow going lengthways is a big help!!

Ok yeah that makes sense. I already have an AC70 filter and a 750 gph powerhead so could I have the Eheim spraybar in the back corner and have it vertically spraying across the back of the tank and then use the powerhead across the front of the tank? Then I will have flow across front and back of tank. Should this work or should the spray bar be horizontal?

What you have described sounds like it will promote good water movement, however, the real test is actually watching it in action. Observing where floating particulate matter goes will help determine where dead spots exists and if they are in the path of the AC filter intake. It sounds like the canister/power head outputs are setup to move the water in a continuous circle. Keep in mind (I have observed this in my 5 gallon pail during water changes) that the calmest area appears to be the center and particles tend to collect there. Of course that's a round container with no obstructions; the tank offers more challenges to water flow.

Back
Top Bottom