Electric bleu jack dempsey

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dreamingdragon

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi every one, my experience with the electric bleu jack dempsey has not going well. Every time I purchase one under a inch a inch half died. A lost 2 of them. Thinking it could go with other fish same size, so I lost 60$ right there. So Jurassic pet sad to me he would give me a male female, if Icould try to breed them . He sad put them in a 10 gallon tank. So they could grew to the size. So I going to give it a try. Just some advice for others whom start out with electric bleu.

Put them in a smaller tank. So they can grow above the 4 inch. En keep them with other bleu electric. I have decide not to put them with other fish. Because they or weaker than other. My experience.

Dreamingdragon said:
Put them in a smaller tank. So they can grow above the 4 inch. En keep them with other bleu electric. I have decide not to put them with other fish. Because they or weaker than other. My experience.

Feed them a quality pellet like nls and stay away from frozen foods. Ime they always seem to have a bad reaction to frozen stuff. Water changes of 50% per week are a must. Mine are 4" now but I've almost lost them several times. Since they have reached the 3.5" mark they have been a lot healthier.

Yes I have notice that too. I was so sad because they or realy pretty fish but under the 5 inch they or realy weak. So I,m going to breed them and hope for the best. Losing 60 dollar fish is not funny. Even the pet store give me discount for them the prise is now 40 box a peace. But I get 2 for about 45 dollars. :)

My tank is in a cycle. And EBJD or on a order list. As a pair. Next week they or coming in. So I hope for the best. My plan is when they getting bigger and have reached above the 5 inch I hope to get fry from them. I have a regular jack dempsey to male. So they or getting there owne tank. And see what I can do to get good fry out of them. I know they or hard to breed. So time will tell what is going to happen. So I have to try out what works great. But thanks for the advice. The regular jack is more agressive so I have to be careful. But first come first let them grow :)

A few things that worked for me. Keep your blues the dominant fish in the tank. Maintain your water.The smaller the tank the harder on you. 2 blues would do fine in a 29 until they reach a few inches. A 4 foot tank would obviously be better. Feed a variety of food just don't overfeed. Smaller more frequent if possible. Consider a new source if you think the quality is not great. Aquabid has a few sellers. Check their feedback and photos. Undesirable traits are beak nose and faded color. You can see it even when young. As for price I just picked up two blues @ 2 inches each for $10 a piece. This was @ a swap meet but there are still better deals for you out there. My avatar is my adult male. He is 5 years old. I have produced and bred blue genes and EBJD's. If you want to breed I hope your patient. If you have ?'s regarding something more specific or on picking a fish let me know. I will try to help.

tiger terror said:
How difficult are they to sex? Was thinking of getting ebjd a mate?

In my experience I could not tell when young. I had regular jd's in with mine and they paired off. I can sex a jd quite easily. My female blue had a more rounded body, kind of bullet shaped, and was much smaller than my male. I can't say that is the norm though. Seems to be more males out there than females. That reason could be that females don't compete and parish or because they are smaller they get culled. Following the rule of the stronger and larger survive.

Here's a pic,not great I know..I'll post a better pic tomorrow....he or she is the only one left after rehoming a gold saum,firemouth&pike(belly crawler).
ForumRunner_20121127_204902.jpg

Really nice. Thanks for the input. Why do I have the 10 gallon. I have the 10 gallon tank just to grow them in size. I know that it is not realy a good tank to start with. But for now I doint want to buy a 29 gallon tank and upgrade later on. That's why I use the 10 gallon tank. To let them grow about 5 inch. I do now that a 10 gallon needs more maintance. But I will take that effort to do that. I have 2 55gallon tanks. And a 10 left over. My electric bleu jack dempsey will get there owne new 55 gallon tank at the end. My exspirance is yes they get dull of collar. For some reason. But because next week I get them in already. And to start up a 55g right now would not work. I can keep them for a while now in the 10 gallon tank. buy a 55 and cycle that tank and than swap out to the 55g when it is cycled. Other wise I have to buy a 29g tank and still have to upgrade to a bigger tank. That is the reason why I have the 10 for now. So when the dempsey come in I will buy the 55g and let it cycle and have to deal with a little more maintance on the 10. Because I live in Santa Fe New Mexico. The prise is huge for my EBJD. So I hope you guys will understand me why I put them in the 10 right now. But I like the idee that u guys will help me out. I did a lot off resurch on the jack. That why I will get them there own tank. The last EBJD took me 6 month to get them on the order list. Because there sold out fast. And this one was not strong more sick when I got him. I took that risk. And it died in thanks giving day he lived 2 days. And my bad was thinking put them with other fish his size. But thanks for the info. I hope this time it will work out. Going to put a lot effort in it :)

Nice pic bay the way. These fish have amazing collar. But hard to keep I will not give up till I have what I want. Keep the info coming. And learn the way of these fish. Stay tuned :)

Yes they do. But I can live with that. But when they get full grown the or awesome. And hard to breed. So I must secede. And will not give up. I have no problem with my other fish. The Africans as the Americans cichlids. But the EBJD is another story. Because of the weak gene. Some have better fry then other. Or I was doing something rong.

I can tell by your post you really want to try your hand @ raising blues. I think you need to take a step back and plan a little. I think if you order from the same source and keep them in a ten gallon you will have the same results. Lets say you keep up on the water changes. Eventually you have to deal with aggression between the fish. That will happen quite quick. You have a very small margin for error.

Being in New Mexico you can easily have fish shipped right to your door with practically no risk due to cold. I would look into that.

A good friend of always says " Buy the tank and then buy the fish because life happens".

Yes you or right. I have being looking around the bleu jacks. I even want to pay a little more money for them to get them bigger. The problem is every time. I was calling to put the order in place. They were sold out or not in stock. I even had scams on the net. Even this guy on You tube was selling them. And I was willing to pay big box for them. But never got respond back from him. S I got disappointed. So if you now Anny site to get them please post. The lfs hier even had hard time to get them. And we made a deal so I doint have to deal with shipping cost. So I tried. So I wait till I get the fish next week. And if they or bad looking like my last one he can keep it. But you or right about that.

Aquabid. Look under Central Americans. There are few up for sale now. Like I said look @ the photos and feedback. At least it gives you an option. Some sites sell using a stock photo so your not seeing the actual fish. If there is a local cichlid club by you I would look into that as well. That is where many contacts and good fish are found. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom