Electric blue dempsey

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tommounseen

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Ive ordered 2 electric blue dempsey's and was just wondering wether they would be safe in a tank with two other normal jack dempsey's my other two are quite tame and share a tank with two red jewel cichlids and a large clown pleco but was just wondering wether they would be more aggressive towards the electric blue dempsey's ?

I think the first thing to consider is what size tank you have. After that it's worth noting that EBJD are generally regarded as being much more docile than regular Dempseys. Also your existing fish temperament may change with the introduction of new fish.

EBJD's are on average not as aggressive and i would never put a EBJD with a JD unless the EBJD is much larger and even then you have to watch. The amount of money spent on the EBJD, and with susceptibility to diseases. I would put the ebjd as number one priority

I have a 150g that i had a 5-6 year old EBJD. sadly i found him trapped under a piece of drift wood. (there is an iridescent shark in there that is prob 8 years old and tends to flip out for no reason and ram things)

BTW i have lost a few to parasites (mystery disease) if you see white stringy poo not good. a UV sterilizer is a good idea for these

With electric bleu jack dempsey. Your water quality needs to be perfect. A little change in the water And they get wired collar on there body. I think if they reach the 5 inch mark your safe. Under the 5 inch mark put them in a 10 gallon tank. And let them grow out. A lot of water change. I did every 2 days I change 10% of that 10 gallon tank. Before that they died really fast with no reason. This is my 4th. I purchase. And finly he is still a live 4 inch and healty.

It's a risk introducing new fish to an established JD tank. Also as stated EBJD are quite passive in comparison. So if you do try it you will need to keep an eye on them all.

Dreamingdragon. I think i sent you a PM i ment to send to Tommounseen. sorry

Back
Top Bottom