Electric Blue Jack Dempseys

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ScottM23

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
If anyone has any experience with these fish can you talk about your experiences with them? I'd also love to see some pictures of the fish and your setup. Thanks in advance!

What experiences would you like to know about? Mine are intelligent, personable, active fish. They know the difference between different people. When I walk into the fish room (I'm the predominant feeder), they get excited, come to the front of the tank to greet me, and follow my progress around the room, even when it isn't feeding time. When my wife comes into the room, they mostly ignore her and go about their business, unless she goes near the cabinet where the food is kept. When strangers or guests come into the room, they retreat to a corner of the tank behind a large rock formation and peek out around the edges of the rock, but usually won't come out unless I offer food. Very fun fish.

Sounds like it, I just wanted any information really. Nothing in particular has come to mind except for one thing. I've heard keeping these fish as juveniles can be more difficult then when they're fully adults. Have you had any experience with that? Or do you know if it's even true?

I got mine as very small (about 1 inch) juveniles. I kept them in my 29g quarantine tank until they were about 3 inches, which only seemed to take a couple months, as they were the only 2 fish in the tank. I then stocked them in my S Amer tank (I know, I know . . .they're C Amer) with oscars and severum, and they do very well, holding their own with the other fish, but not being overly aggressive. I didn't find them to be hard to raise to adulthood (they're about 8 inches now). I think as long as you follow a good maintenance schedule, they're no more difficult than other cichlids.

Okay thanks that helps! Could you send a picture of them and your setup? I'd love to see how they're doing.

If I only knew how . . . My son has been promising to come over and teach me, but he recently was discharged from the Navy, and seems to have other things on his mind.

Back
Top Bottom