Electric Blue Jack Dempseys... what do the adults look like?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cgcaver

Aquarium Advice Regular
These fish seem beautiful as juveniles... but it seems like all the pics I can find of them are all just that - as babies.

Can anyone give me a good idea of what adult Electric Blue JDs look like? Just like the babies, but bigger - or what? Do they really look a lot prettier than regular JDs as adults (i.e. worth their price), or about the same?

Here's a pic I found at Jeff Rapps' site:
http://www.tangledupincichlids.com/images/blueadult.jpg

As you can see, they are absolutely stunning as adults. My LFS actually had some juvies the last time I went in there, and I think they said they ordered them from Rapps. Beautiful fish, but I don't have the tank space (or the $60 they wanted) to keep one. Supposedly, they are a lot milder-tempered than the regular JDs, and don't grow as large due to their genetic anomaly. They are also much more difficult to keep than regular JDs, and I've known of experienced hobbyists that have had no success in keeping them. HTH

If you want to see an excellent photo of these as adults just google Electric Blue Jack Dempsey in the photo section. It looks unreal, but as cgcaver said they are a very tempremental and hard to keep.

Back
Top Bottom