Electric Blue Johanni

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fish121215

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have an electric blue johanni and a malawi golden cichlid. At first, the johanni chased the malawi.. now the tables have turned. I seperated them for a couple weeks... Today they reunited. The malawi is after the Johanni again. My Johanni stays at the top of tank in the bubbles and bobs up and down. Can anyone tell me why? Are they mating? Should I seperate them? I would sure hate to lose one :(

I have a 55 gallon tank. I have minnows and what I was told 3 indian barbs.. none are aggresive. Makes me wonder why my blue guy is doing what he's doing.

Both these species are very very aggressive and ideally 2 species of melanochromis shouldn't be kept in tanks less than 500L if not more. They do best in groups and if there is only these 2 fish in your tank then they will constantly harass each other no mater what size the tank is. As garfy said what size tank isit?

55 gallon tank. Maybe I'll seperate them again until I can purchase some more. Now, should I have more females than males?

Do you have the barbs and minnows with the malawi's? Ideally you would be better of keeping one or the other, then add more females to the species you choose to keep. Plus adding another 1 to 3 species.

Need to get the minnows and barbs out as they require a total different set-up and water parameters. No worries any time :)

The minnows & barbs have been together for 7 months now. I put cory fish in about 4 months ago... (luv those little cleaner guys)... a week after that, I put in the blue johanni and it's partner... all was fine up until a week ago. I just finished seperating the two... all is good. They are both relaxed now :)

Back
Top Bottom