Electric blue johanni sick?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishguy1997

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I got 2 Johannis today and one of them her fins look a little torn and her eye looks cloudy what should I do?

image-720459947.jpg
Edit: her fins are not torn its just her eye is a little darker and her paler colors make her look sick sorry guys. :) the male is showing off to her a lot she will follow him but then swim away. I'm hoping they mate :)

also its less confusing if you call them maingano instead of johanni, which is an entirely different species then what you have :)

Well I bought them from my LFS as Electric Blue Johanni. Next week I'm off from school again on Monday so I'm going to go back to the store and I'll get more ( if she is still alive) but my tank is pretty full and I don't have that many more places for them to hide so I might get some peacocks which I heard don't hide and I saw some cool ones there today but I didn't want to get to many fish at once so when I go back I'm either getting Johannis or peacocks and that will most likely be the last time I'll get more fish for that tank for a while unless I can get rid of my giant danios

you should be planning out your purchases a little better then this.. and didnt we discuss it in one of your other threads that the actual name of the species of fish you just bought is maingano?

Yeah I just looked back I thought maingano was talking about something else sorry about that.

a.tetreault said:
you need more then two, they will kill each other off before you get any fry.

I can attest to this. I have 2 and I had to move the female to my QT tank. She has a severe bite mark. I feel like crap for putting her through this.

Fishguy1997 said:
Well I bought them from my LFS as Electric Blue Johanni. Next week I'm off from school again on Monday so I'm going to go back to the store and I'll get more ( if she is still alive) but my tank is pretty full and I don't have that many more places for them to hide so I might get some peacocks which I heard don't hide and I saw some cool ones there today but I didn't want to get to many fish at once so when I go back I'm either getting Johannis or peacocks and that will most likely be the last time I'll get more fish for that tank for a while unless I can get rid of my giant danios

Also, I wouldn't mix peacocks and mbunas. I also made this mistake in the past and it didn't work out. They have different care requirements and I've read that they are not as aggressive. However, I bought a red peacock and it showed conspecific aggression. Meaning it only chased one species (my rusty). She would chase him in three full circles around my tank. She drove him into a plant in the corner and wouldn't let him out at all. I had to rehome her.

Thanks... Next week ill be going back most likely to get another Mbuna they had so many kinds and I didnt have enough to look good

Make sure you research the fish you intend to buy, so you know it's requirements and it's comparability with the fish you have first tho.

Back
Top Bottom