Electric Blue Rams (Neon Blue Rams)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

h2oskierc

Aquarium Advice Activist
I found a new LFS yesterday, and was really impressed with them. Small operation and the owner observes the livestock he buys and knows all his sources.

I had a couple GBRs that died very fast from a different LFS that I think were dyed, so hopefully these will live. The LFS owner thought I would have good luck, and tried to pick me out a male/female in hopes that I would breed them and sell some back to him. He gave me a few smaller pieces of slate for them to spawn on. Neat place...

I think this one is a male:

IMAG0228 by h2oskierc, on Flickr

and I think this is a female:

IMAG0224 by h2oskierc, on Flickr

They are both quite small still, around an inch or so. Comparable in size to my neons. Wish me luck!

I would welcome any advice that you have.

It kinda looks like the top is a female and bottom is male, but I'd need more pics to get a better idea. They are hard to sex when young.

I bred EBRs for a while but I honestly got disgusted with how fragile they were, I had no problem breeding and raising them once I got the basics figured out the amount of random deaths seen by myself and by those that I sent them to in the following months just put me over it.

It kinda looks like the top is a female and bottom is male, but I'd need more pics to get a better idea. They are hard to sex when young.

I bred EBRs for a while but I honestly got disgusted with how fragile they were, I had no problem breeding and raising them once I got the basics figured out the amount of random deaths seen by myself and by those that I sent them to in the following months just put me over it.

That stinks. For what they cost I hope they survive... I know they typically only live a couple years, but I was hoping these might be a better compromise than the GBRs that I had. I will be extra careful about water changes, then, and hope that helps them...

Well considering how they are brought about, EBRs *should* be less hardy than GBRs just because of the amount of line breeding/inbreeding it takes to develop the electric blue variant. That said though I hope it works out for you, I know plenty of people who have good stories about them.

Yeah. Like I said, I wonder if the GBRs I had were dyed. They were the only two fish I have lost, but I never could figure out exactly what did them in.

Care to share any of your breeding secrets? I don't think these guys will be ready for a while, but I would like to be prepared.

What beauties! Good luck with them. I can't even keep GBR's alive for more than a month it seems, so I think you're brave to try with EBR's! Hmm, I've never seen dyed GBR's. They are so gorgeous, not sure why anyone would dye them...

I am determined to keep rams somehow. They are the most amazing fish. I loved them the first time I saw them at the LFS!

I am thinking a 20% PWC every 3 days. What do you guys think, does that seem reasonable? I want to keep the water fresh, but disturb the fish less, so I am thinking smaller changes more frequently. Is that a sound plan?

I'd do 50% personally. My Routine with them was a water change every 3 days. Just use a high quality pellet an add in some live or frozen food Every once in awhile and they will breed when they're ready

Okay, I will do 50% every three days then. That's the beauty of a water changer it is so easy! :cool:

Just use a high quality pellet an add in some live or frozen food Every once in awhile and they will breed when they're ready

I like Omega One, I have always felt that is a high quality food. Should I fast them for a couple days? I did a 3 hour drip acclimation yesterday.

I like omega one, nls., and a few bulk recipes that I have used.

I'd try feeding after 24hrs of settling in. If the lfs just got them they might've been fasted for shipping, plus lfs doesn't usually feed that often anyway, the ones I know feed every other or every 3 days.

Did you ever do anything to make the pellets softer? They seem so hard.

I'd do 50% personally. My Routine with them was a water change every 3 days. Just use a high quality pellet an add in some live or frozen food Every once in awhile and they will breed when they're ready
Hey jeta, what if you are in a scenario like I am in, where the water from your tap is at a significantly different pH than your tank is at, would you then go with a smaller pwc for sensitive fish like EBR?

I love how these threads evolve. Just out of curiosity, why would one adjust the pH of a tank?

Well the water out of my tap has a pH of about 7.2-7.4 and many of my tanks run as low as 6.0.

What makes the pH of your tanks so low? My tap and tank are almost exactly the same.

I am going to add in here that those fish look amazing! I really hope it goes well for you. Personally, I avoided GBR because of the local pricetag on them, I went with Bolivians instead. Those are amazing though! :)

Back
Top Bottom