Ellioti Cichlid aggression

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tomoisawatergod

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi,
This post is not intended for the benefit of my own aquarium, but a problem a friend had with his. I wouldn't normally be bothered enough to post about another persons issues, but as one day i myself want to keep cichlids, I wanted to bring this up.

He has a fairly new tank which is 100 litres, he had a handful of corys and a plec as its inhabitants. Some artificial and some organic plants. The tank it self has been in operation for some time- but i wouldn't know water parameters.

I do know however, that he was advised at the local pet shop that buying two Ellioti Cichlids was a necessity because they favor pairs? and that they would be great Cichlids to have in a community tank.

So to get to the point, within days one of the cichlids bulling the other (so much so it was causing real damage, i managed to see that). So he re-homed the bullied fish the same day.

So now there was only one cichlid in the tank, with the plec and corys. But one by one it started to pick on the corys, it ended up killing two before being re homed.

Is this normal or natural behavior for those ellioti or even cichlids all together?
Is this a usual story for keeping them?

I love the look of cichlids, but class myself as a beginner keeper. Story's like this (and the damage i witnessed on the other fish) put m off of keeping them.

Many thanks

I think what I had would be an elioti. He was a nightmare. Had to put him in his own tank. He didnt bother the small pleco in there but that was towards the end of his 5-6 year run.

I keep lots of cichlids, almost 2 dozen different species. Ime they are all unpredictable and can show varying degrees of aggression. It's always good to have a backup plan with cichlids in case plan A doesn't work out. What you read that should work, or what worked for someone else, might not work for you, and vice versa. Mostly they are just very territorial and can be jerks

So really then he had some bad information from the pet shop.

Another question then are there any cichlids whether dwarf, SA or African thanks would be considered a good community tank choice?

So really then he had some bad information from the pet shop.

Another question then are there any cichlids whether dwarf, SA or African thanks would be considered a good community tank choice?
Honestly, my lfs is home of a cichlid guru. He doesnt mince words, he told me they'd be fine too. I think it really boils down to individual temperament? You get that alpha dog and all bets are off. I had mine with blue acara, not the meanest but they can hold they're own. Everyone says angel fish are cool? They're nasty too. My discus are evil little craps as well! It's just a matter of damage capabilities. My thory.... he would break the glass if he didnt know that would result in never getting frozen blood worms again.

Your question is too broad. Def no Africans though, they're species only. Bolivian rams are harmless, electric blue acara will be fine with anything they cant eat.

Honestly, my lfs is home of a cichlid guru. He doesnt mince words, he told me they'd be fine too. I think it really boils down to individual temperament? You get that alpha dog and all bets are off. I had mine with blue acara, not the meanest but they can hold they're own. Everyone says angel fish are cool? They're nasty too. My discus are evil little craps as well! It's just a matter of damage capabilities. My thory.... he would break the glass if he didnt know that would result in never getting frozen blood worms again.

Your question is too broad. Def no Africans though, they're species only. Bolivian rams are harmless, electric blue acara will be fine with anything they cant eat.
Your totally right. Angels are not angelic, haha! And it's all about Temperament. What works for one person or one day may not the next

Thanks for your replies.

I think I will stay clear of the SA or African cichlids then. Ill do some research on smaller and more passive alternatives. I love the colour cichlids can bring to an aquarium.

But wouldn't want to jeopardise a peaceful tank.

Back
Top Bottom